Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link. Ya, I'm in college right now taking 2 woodworking classes so really I don't have time to do another project. Besides, I love to do finishing & that's why I wanted to do the kit, focus on some finishing.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm in college right now taking 2 woodworking classes so really I don't have time to do another project.
So wait till you are out and do it right :thumbsup:. I am not trying to offend (I never went to college for woodworking, I am genuinely curious here) Are they teaching college classes on kit making? Blow off a couple classes and hang around here, you will have a PhD in no time :laughing:.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'll try and do my part. If you HAVE to build a kit {I feel dirty just saying that} Stewart MacDonald is the way to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I'm a history major, but I want to do woodworking for a job. I have a bunch of electives. Ya, the classes are pretty much awesome.
NO, no kits for us.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm not a HUGH fan of kit guitars but I 'spose if yer gonna build an acoustic guitar without spending 10K a kit is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
American Woodworker built 4 guitar kits and commented on each in issue #130, Sept 2007.

They thought the Griz Classical Guitar kit for $80 was a great kit for a first guitar. It requires the least amount of construction. Not sure if they have other kits.

The others jump to $300 for the U.S. Guitar Sycamore kit for a traditional looking acoustic that includes a hard case..."great kit for an intermediate", and a $300 Music Maker's Renaissance kit with the tear drop shape. Then there's the Stew Mac for $425 that requires the most assembly. They gave it positive comments for quality and detailed instructions.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was gonna mention that article. I still think the best "kit" is at your local hardwood dealer.Nothing prefabed...just wood in the raw waitin' to be a guitar.

My .002"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frankly, I agree with you guys. But it's a nice way to get into it & I would like to make more(not from kits). I know several musicians & my body was all excited, showing me photos, asking me if I could do this or that.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I was gonna mention that article. I still think the best "kit" is at your local hardwood dealer.Nothing prefabed...just wood in the raw waitin' to be a guitar.

My .002"
I don't have a knowledge base to pride myself on or a purist reputation to uphold, so it's easier for me to do it! :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts