Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Your name plates on the Jet are OK.

4.6 x 230 = 1058 watts, close to 1.1 kW and that relates to 1.417 hp which is close to 1.5 hp

The 1.6 kVA is also close enough, based on 240V and a high power factor.

They did a good job.:thumbsup:
You missed the point. The inverter output is less than the motor rating.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The banjo on my lathe is too short.
Well if your banjo is "too short", so is mine. My banjo only has about an inch of contact with the farthest way when extended to the clear the maximum swing, and I've never had a bit of trouble because of that.
I don't see any compelling reason why a banjo should extend all the way across both ways at maximum extension. I've never had instability problems at all. And 99% of what I'm likely to turn is going to be smaller than the absolute maximum clearance available over the ways anyway.
Turning at the absolute max is a total pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You missed the point. The inverter output is less than the motor rating.
LOL, I guess this can get confusing.

The rating of the inverter is 1.6kVA which is pretty close to 2 1/4 hp as this is 3phase, the 1hp printed is a good suggestion, as it is good practice to over-size the inverter a little.

The match of inverter to motor here is pretty good on your machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do a google search on this lathe. People on other forums are really excited about it and placing their order. Most say it is an introductory price and it should jump considerably next year. Grizzly lathes have come a long way from the older versions that people seem to only talk about. I have the 0766 on order. Luckily I also had a 10% coupon to use.

Red
Where did you find a 10% off coupon? Please tell me because I am ready to pull the trigger soon, and that'd cover the shipping. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Am I missing something. The spec sheet calls for a 15 amp service, and the motor is hooked to a freq drive.
Obviously you are. NEC requires 20 Amp 240 VAC branch circuit for 3 HP motor. Please explain what you think that the inverter has to do with the price of tea in China.

Ahh. But it is run from a freq drive to vary the speed. It may be, and probably is, running at a much higher frequency. That would account for the low amp draw.
OK, I get it ... you're just yanking hwebb99's chain ... at least I hope that is the case.

You cannot make 3 hp on 4 amp 220 volts. The freq drive does not make power, it only changes it. It would still have to draw 14-16 amps 220 volts to be 3 hp. The motor is 3 phase 220 volt.
Wrong about what? You're talking gibberish and then telling folks who know stuff from Shinola that they're wrong?

·
Registered
80 Posts
mgdesigns said:
Where did you find a 10% off coupon? Please tell me because I am ready to pull the trigger soon, and that'd cover the shipping. Thanks.
I subscribe to woodworkers journal. I had a 10% off coupon printed on a special full page ad that was stapled to the front cover of the magazine when it came last month in the mail. I doubt it was available at the newsstand that way. And I did use my coupon already by the way.

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
On a side note...is the WWJ a decent magazine to subscribe to? I used to get it about twenty years ago and it was good back then I just don't know about now.

Red

·
Registered
80 Posts
red said:
On a side note...is the WWJ a decent magazine to subscribe to? I used to get it about twenty years ago and it was good back then I just don't know about now. Red
Pretty good. I go to discountMags.com. They have wood magazine for about $4.99 a year that is my favorite one to read. Woodworkers journal is usually about 6.99 a year. Those are the two I subscribe to. It's pretty good. Seems like the majority of it is a big commercial for Rockler.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts