Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone is familiar with this jointer. I am trying to adjust the parallelogram table and am having a bit of difficulty doing so. Worst case scenario, I can call Grizzly on Monday but just thought I'd try here first.

I have the outfeed table parallel to the cutterhead, it was pretty much done at the manufacturer and I checked it with a straightedge by setting the straightedge towards the fence and lowering the outfeed table until the straightedge just barely contacted the cutterhead body (not blade). I then moved the straight edge to the middle of the table and checked, and finally closest to me and checked. It seemed right on.

So now I need to ensure the infeed table is parallel to the outfeed table. I raise both tables all the way up (over the cutterhead) and when I lay the straightedge across both tabes, there is a slight rocking of the straightedge. This is where I am confused.

To adjust the table, Grizzly uses eccentric bushings (which I am not familiar with) which are locked in place by set screws and some are real hard to get to, it's almost as if I would need to remove the fence and the fence carriage to get to them. There are 4 on each side (front and back) and I have no idea which I need to adjust.

I have read the instructions several times but they just don't cover in depth the operation of these bushings.

Hoping someone has similar design and could give me some tips.

Thanks in advance.

·
7,222 Posts
I just looked at the Grizzly manual for your jointer.

Good to read the outfeed table is fine. Grizzly should have the infeed adjusting procedure earlier in the manual before you attach the fence etc. since you will need to get access to the eccentric screws for the infeed table.

The eccentric design of the bushings means that at some point in the rotation of the bushing, the table height will be at a low point. Rotating the bushing 180 deg would then mean the table is at a high point. This is independent of the lever which moves the entire table. The manual does not state how much adjustment the bushing provide, likely a small fraction of an inch.

You mention the straight edge rocks, which infers the cutterhead end of the infeed table is higher than the outfeed table.

I would try adjusting this end of the infeed table first. You will need to get access to the set screws. I hope these bushing are easy to turn once the set screws are loose without the need to go out and purchase a pin wrench, which is a big PITA. If you have a small flat end punch or small flat end screwdriver, you may be able to knock this to rotate. Not clear which direction you should rotate, so pick one, e.g., clockwise, knock the bushing and re-check to see if the straight edge rocks more or less. Then you either need to continue in the same direction of reverse.

I hope you only have to adjust the bushing at one end.

Good luck. Even the manual states this is not quick, saying perhaps 1 hour.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave-

Thanks for the response.. The manual is vague regarding the eccentric bushings. I am afraid to play with it too much to throw the factory settings off.

Lumber-

You can't receive pm's but thanks for the response. I will visit your review. I also think I'm having trouble with the fence alignment. Just for a goof, I edge jointed a piece of rough figured walnut I had lying around and it came out super smooth with no snipe. Really happy considering the table and/or fence still needs to be dialed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts