Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's available right at Grizzly too.....its a 3/4 hp motor vs the 1 hp of the 555...different guides, switch, stand.....

for 404 i'd buy the craftsman band saw.....very similar to the well reviewed rikon....1 hp and a bigger top....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah... I can save shipping on the Craftsman by having it shipped to my local Hometown store. That's nice.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
While it claims to be a 1.5 hp motor....it only draws 10 amps....which puts it much closer to 1 hp.....that said....the craftsman draws 9 amps which puts it closer to 7/8ths or so.

Anyhow....if It were me buying one......I'd put those in this order...

1. Craftsman

2. Porter cable

3. Grizzly 580

Although.....2 and 3 for me are pretty close to tied.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed that Grizzly has a showroom/warehouse in Springfield, MO. My wife and I did a tour of Missouri wineries a few years ago (don't laugh, Missouri has a large number of nice wineries!), and I suspect I could talk her into another swing through there this summer. So, I could save the shipping charges on the Grizzly if I picked it up. But - how big is the box? Would it fit in a Honda CRV and still leave room for the other things you would have on a trip?

Harry

·
Registered
530 Posts
Go to youtube and search for G0555 or Grizzly bandsaw. They have their own videos and in them they provide the box dimensions. They cover the full line so the 580 should be included.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Grizzly box sizes

Grizzly's web site usually has the box sizes listed on the specs page for the particular item. Size and quantity of boxes. When I picked up an open drum sander and a DC, the boxes listed were accurate because I wanted to load the sander in the side door of a mini van. Fork lift operator had about 2 inches to spare and had no problems loading them.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
Grizzly's web site usually has the box sizes listed on the specs page for the particular item. Size and quantity of boxes. When I picked up an open drum sander and a DC, the boxes listed were accurate because I wanted to load the sander in the side door of a mini van. Fork lift operator had about 2 inches to spare and had no problems loading them.

Jon
Northern Michigan
Yes, scroll down to the bottom of the page and anything you want to know about it are there. Very nice how they do it.

Red

1 - 9 of 9 Posts