Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke down and bought me a new grizzly g0555..I went and bought a new blade from amazon...it was a Olsen 93.5x3/8x4tpi....I believe I got all the guides and bearings set right but this is the cut I'm getting...I have used this brand of blade before and never had this type of cut...can anyone tell me if it might be the blade or my adjustments.i also noticed the blade had alot of wobble to it and it's really tight now tension wise
Wood Rectangle Publication Amber Wood stain

Brown Rectangle Wood Flooring Hardwood

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
Hold an oil stone to the sides and back edge of the blade as it's spinning to even out the weld. Stay clear of the gullets and the teeth.
If it's moving front to back you have a bad weld alignment. I weld my own blades, so I know what that's like.
It also looks like one tooth is set over more than the others. Spin the blade by hand and hold a scrap on either side and mark where it just kisses the widest tooth.
If there's one tooth out too far it will stop on that one. A Vise grips will bend it band with gentle pressure.

Reactions: BigCountry79

·
Registered
790 Posts
I was thinking bad weld too... like the one side of the weld cuts a little deeper than the other

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Based on the spacing I’d say they are teeth marks. Could be the blade, could be the saw. How did you do the cut - crosscut, freehand, rip?

If this is a rip cut check the fence adjustment for drift.

Olsen blades are generally pretty decent.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Its possible the blade is too tight.
Slacken the blade enough that it still turns but is obviously loose.
Wind the blade guard to the top so you can see all the blade.
Stand in front of the machine, turn it on, and slowly tighten while watching the blade.
It will vibrate a lot, but then the vibration will become less, and then it will look as though the blade is not moving at all. Stop the machine and wait till the blade stops moving. Grip the blade halfway along its visible length with your thumb and forefinger. Twist it. It should turn almost a quarter turn at the most. More than a quarter and it needs a tad more tightening. Recheck the vibration from the front.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Its possible the blade is too tight.
Slacken the blade enough that it still turns but is obviously loose.
Wind the blade guard to the top so you can see all the blade.
Stand in front of the machine, turn it on, and slowly tighten while watching the blade.
It will vibrate a lot, but then the vibration will become less, and then it will look as though the blade is not moving at all. Stop the machine and wait till the blade stops moving. Grip the blade halfway along its visible length with your thumb and forefinger. Twist it. It should turn almost a quarter turn at the most. More than a quarter and it needs a tad more tightening. Recheck the vibration from the front.
Never heard of this technique. IMO you can't overtighten a blade - well, within reason, but many problems result from inadequate tension, especially for resawing. You can check deflection at full extension no more than 1/8" with good pressure, but as a general rule I go 2x whatever the tension gauge says.

The more tension, the less the blade deflects, and the cleaner the cut.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong for 40 years.............

·
Registered
844 Posts
My G0555 always cut very well except for the two times new blades were defective. One was a bad weld and the other had a twist in the band and wouldn't track straight. Assuming the tension and the guides are properly adjusted, I also expect you have a bad blade.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
look up tuning a bandsaw with alex snodgrass. highly recommended.

looks like your blade is bent defective. but it may be fixable.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If the blade is a half inch or less, it most definitely can be overtightened. I snapped a couple with the machine off when I first started using a bandsaw. Larger blades on hobby machines, not so much. I only use 3/8" and narrower on my 14" jet bandsaw, and i can resaw 7" high hardwoods with 1/4" blades using the method I outlined.

The flutter test is widespread knowledge, and works extremely well if your machine doesnt have any way of measuring blade tension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I won't buy anymore Olsen blades.... I bought an Olsen 105" All Pro PGT 3tpi 5/8" recently, and it's too long, & I think has a poor quality weld. I had to completely readjust the tension (PIA on my bandsaw) to get it tight enough... tension indicator was about 3/8" past the mark for a 3/4" blade, it's only a 5/8" blade, & I'm almost maxed out on tension adjustment.

3 of the last 5 Olsen's I've bought were problematic from the beginning, 2 undersized, this one oversized, 4th one broke a couple months ago after about a dozen cuts in 6/4 Maple. The oldest one is still going fine, but it's a 14tpi blade for thin stock.

Just bought a 105" 3/4" 2-3 variable tpi Timber Wolf silicon steel blade & it cuts almost as smooth and as fast as a table saw compared to any of the Olsen blades. It was more than double the price of the Olsen, but definitely worth every penny.

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
I won't buy anymore Olsen blades.... I bought an Olsen 105" All Pro PGT 3tpi 5/8" recently, and it's too long, & I think has a poor quality weld. I had to completely readjust the tension (PIA on my bandsaw) to get it tight enough... tension indicator was about 3/8" past the mark for a 3/4" blade, it's only a 5/8" blade, & I'm almost maxed out on tension adjustment.

3 of the last 5 Olsen's I've bought were problematic from the beginning, 2 undersized, this one oversized, 4th one broke a couple months ago after about a dozen cuts in 6/4 Maple. The oldest one is still going fine, but it's a 14tpi blade for thin stock.

Just bought a 105" 3/4" 2-3 variable tpi Timber Wolf silicon steel blade & it cuts almost as smooth and as fast as a table saw compared to any of the Olsen blades. It was more than double the price of the Olsen, but definitely worth every penny.
Have you cut and measured the lengths of the blade to compare to the factory specified length?
I've heard very mixed review on Olson blades.
I don't own any myself. but I do order Timberwolf from Grizzly with good results in 3/4" wide X 143" long for my 18" Min Max.
I weld my own blades that are 1/2" or less wide from Starrett, Lenox or Disston roll stock. In addition to three 14" bandsaws and a 10", I have 2 metal cutting bandsaws so I need a variety of types and lengths.
Welding my own has saved me a bunch on money over a 45 year span.

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
Never heard of this technique. IMO you can't overtighten a blade - well, within reason, but many problems result from inadequate tension, especially for resawing. You can check deflection at full extension no more than 1/8" with good pressure, but as a general rule I go 2x whatever the tension gauge says.

The more tension, the less the blade deflects, and the cleaner the cut.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong for 40 years.............
Too much tension on a 14" home shop bandsaw, is almost impossible as far as I understand. Partly because the spring mechanism and hand screw won't allow it. This will help explain:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

i believe your right and im with you,,i wont buy anymore either,, kinda funny,,since i wrote this i was looking for a 3/8 router bit and needless to say the only 3/8th that i could find was a frued and it was 40.00,,the difference between the cheaper ones that amazon sells is like night and day,,,it went thru the wood like a hot knife going thru butter with no tear out whatsoever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts