Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Grizzly G0452 6" Jointer. It has a number of feature I like but I would like to hear from anyone who has one or has comments on Grizzly tools in general.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am looking at the Grizzly G0452 6" Jointer. It has a number of feature I like but I would like to hear from anyone who has one or has comments on Grizzly tools in general.
Have the G1182HW 6" jointer - great machine. Also have Grizzly's shaper, bandsaw, and spindle sander. Pretty much good quality machines for the money...... usually first look goes to Grizzly when looking to add to the ww stable.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
The only Grizzly machine I have is a G1026 shaper. I don't think much of it. It looks more like something made by Central Machinery. It's poorly designed and poorly built. They have a little 3/8" drive belt on it with a 3hp motor. I have a bigger belt on the smog pump on my truck. Then there is enough slack in the spindle I'm afraid to use it with anything other than a three wing cutter. I have sturdier routers.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The only Grizzly machine I have is a G1026 shaper. I don't think much of it. It looks more like something made by Central Machinery. It's poorly designed and poorly built. They have a little 3/8" drive belt on it with a 3hp motor. I have a bigger belt on the smog pump on my truck. Then there is enough slack in the spindle I'm afraid to use it with anything other than a three wing cutter. I have sturdier routers.
Steve, I'm surprised at your comment, I have read enough of your posts that I know you know what you're talking about. I have the smaller shaper, the G1035, only because I couldn't afford the bigger one. The only bad thing I have heard about the G1026 was that the fence left something to be desired. Most of the reviews were quite positive. Curious about the slack in the spindle, can you elaborate on that?

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Tom, that's a nice unit. I currently use a Jet 6" and my next upgrade is going to be a 8" Grizzly. I personally think a 8" jointer is the perfect size, for me anyhow.
As for Grizzly tools in general I love them myself, I have a 17" bandsaw, 15" planer and a new 10" cabinet saw and have had no issues what so ever. There are better tools out there for sure, but for the money you just can't beat the quality and cost of Grizzly machines. This of course is only my opinion.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
Steve, I'm surprised at your comment, I have read enough of your posts that I know you know what you're talking about. I have the smaller shaper, the G1035, only because I couldn't afford the bigger one. The only bad thing I have heard about the G1026 was that the fence left something to be desired. Most of the reviews were quite positive. Curious about the slack in the spindle, can you elaborate on that?
Over the years I've used Delta, Powermatic, Onsrud and Northfield shapers at other places I worked at. I also own a Northfield shaper. When I needed a second shaper I ran across the Grizzly shaper on a online auction. Everyone spoke highly of Grizzly so I didn't think too much about it. For the price I expected it to be more like the Delta shaper and it wasn't. It's not like I was expecting it to be of the same quality as the Northfield but I though it would be safe with well balanced knives. Right now I believe I should replace it with another Northfield. Shapers are dangerous enough without using one you have doubts with. I pretty much just use a collar and loose knives. I don't have a company that would sharpen carbide cutters for me so I use high speed steel and sharpen them myself.

The spindle when you loosen the nut you can see the spindle move laterally. It's not much but it shouldn't move like that at all. I've gone over it and tighten everything possible but it still is loose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have an 8" grizzly jointer with a spiral cutterhead, and I'm decently satisfied. The spiral cutter is great-- grain orientation hardly matters and the cut is always smooth.

My only complaint is that the fence on mine has a slight twist, slight enough that it took me a few months to notice. It's possible to get perfect 90 degree edges, but I have to know which part of the twisted fence is right and which part is off a tiny bit. I'm not sure if I should expect better, or if that minor flaw is the price I pay for a more budget friendly machine.

Don't let me talk you out of it though. To do it all over again, I'd probably buy the same thing.

·
VAguy
57 Posts
I have a griz 6" jointer 1182Z and their Table Saw 1023S. Just ordered the G0555 Bandsaw yesterday. Good tools in my opinion. No mechanical or issues with having true surfaces. Keeping my fingers crossed for the same for the bandsaw.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The G0452 is a very popular jointer and will serve you well.

Stone - I have the G0555 and it's a real workhorse. As with any manufactured product, you can encounter problems but neither the jointer nor the G0555 have any pervasive issues you need to watch out for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts