Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to improve my sharpening "system" I've got the Wolverine jig with the skew and vari-grind accessories. Whatever I do, I'd like to re-use them. I have and old high speed grinder with 6" wheels and I think it's time for a change.

I'm pretty sure the Tormek is out. So, I'm ruminating about just getting a variable speed 8" grinder and outfitting it with Norton 3X wheels, or - a VS grinder with a CBN wheel, or a wet grinder. I like the idea of being able to see where I'm grinding, so the WorkSharp is sort of in the mix, but in all honesty, it feels a little gimmicky to me.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions about this and I want to hear them all! Don't hold back; let me have it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The worksharp doesn't get very good reviews from the turners that have them. A few like them but most don't.
A 6" high speed grinder with good wheels is all you really need. I do like my slow speed grinder with the CBN wheels. the slower speed just seems less scary and the CBN wheels not only run perfectly smooth which makes it easier to control the grind, they also will never blow up or change size so they are safer and more consistent to use.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Another option that I'm playing with now is a 1" strip sander. The belts are cheap and you can buy any grit you want. I've been using 320 grit but I'm going to change to 600 grit when this one wears down to see if I gain anything.
I did have to jury rig it to make it work with some of my jigs. If you only free hand grind it's great as is.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just installed a D-Way CBN wheel, and tried it today. There is no comparison. It will put heat in a tool, but Nothing like a regular grinding wheel, but cuts probably 50 times faster than a wet wheel. I tried to burn an old chisel, and did manage to, but I had to try to by staying on it longer, and putting more pressure than I ever would with a regular grinding wheel.

It just made the others obsolete in this shop.

I was going to put it on an old Baldor, but I've decided to leave that one for the metal shop. I'm looking at the 8" Metabo for the CBN wheel.

I only got the fine one with radiused edges to try it out. I'm not sure if I will even need another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts