Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Jacksonville, FL. I am an aspiring woodworker that has never done this before (well not since the 7th grade when I took a shop class that covered wood and metal, but that was many moons ago!) So far the only things I have are a Ryobi BT3000 minus the miter fence and attaching hardware, and a circular saw (I have mallets, hammers, drills and whatnot too). I grew up watching Roy Underhill so I am going to try and do as much as I can using traditional hand tools. I just didn't feel like ripping and cross cutting by hand. I guess I got interested in woodworking because my wife wanted to blow tons of money on a new bedroom set. I was not impressed with the prices of bedroom sets at the big name stores and I thought that they were made very cheaply. I figured if I was going to spend two thousand dollars it would be way better looking and better made if I did it. I plan on starting small and working my way up. My first project is a work bench, after that it will be a bread box worthy of laughter from the wife, and then slowly get bigger as I go. I look forward to getting tons of questions answered and having a few laughs on the forums. Cheers!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH - You have a good plan to 1st build a workbench. Keep it simple and learn along the way... and don't throw out those scraps of wood. Use them to practice joinery. A couple of guys here in particular who love the hand tools (actually quite a few), but try watching Firemedic and Chris Curl. I like hand tools and have a small collection, but I'm too lazy to rely on them for my builds. Have fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts