Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Let's see... my name is Greg and I currently live in Houston. I've been a woodworker for about 25 years and picked it up from my grandfather and my father.

I'm a big fan of owwm. I very recently finished a ground up restoration of a 1981 Unisaw and I'm about to start work on a Delta belt and disc combo. While I do have some import iron, it's rapidly being replaced with vintage USA. Why? Well, because restoring them is fun and in many cases the quality can't be beat.

Most of what I do is furniture, but I also do cabinet work and dabble in turning. My current shop is modest (a converted 2 car), but it's highly functional and after living with no shop then a 10x12 in Northern Maine and then a 14x22 in Minnesota, I'm grateful for what I've got.

I am a precision freak. I believe in having well-tuned machines and quality measuring instruments. No, I don't sweat a few thousandths, but I learned a long time ago that careful attention to detail is not only less frustrating, but also cathartic. A well-fit joint, whether hand cut or machined, is food for the woodworker's soul.

I also play with my 1967 Chevelle, play the guitar, and when I'm not busy with all that, I work as a software architect. So, thanks for reading and thanks for having me! I look forward to browsing the forums and maybe pitching in here and there.

·
where's my table saw?
27,741 Posts
Welcome Greg

Military perhaps?
Or you are just sampling the climate in various locales.
You sound like a well rounded guy and as another fellow woodworker, I never let an old tool die. Not into real old iron, but 50's and 60's stuff. I agree on the precision of joinery, it's like therapy when you get it just right. If you want check the stuff in "My Photos" under my screen name and be sure and add some in your albums also. I also play guitar, just well enough to scare the dog :eek: :laughing: bill

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Welcome from Kemah, Tx

A few more Houstonians and we will get our own forum.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your work.

Tony B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts