Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled onto this site, and it encouraged us to introduce ourselves, so I am Brian from Brazil. I live with my "love" and step-daughter, and 4 dogs, two parakeets, a flock of laying hens, and a few flies, cockroaches, and things like that!

I don't do much real woodworking, (limited resources, tools, and time) but with a surname like "Wood", a great-grandfather who was a wheelwright, a grandfather who built countless houses and barns, and a father who built all the houses that he lived in until he was 80, I have to carry on the tradition!

One of the cultural differences I have seen is that in most american plans it says, "Go to your bandsaw and make the cut..." where in a brazilian plan it would not assume that you are that well equipped, and would tell you to use your handsaw.

I'm looking forward to learning what I can here.

Brian in Brazil

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Wlecom Brian. I love using a handsaw as much as is allowed in this fast-paced Western culture.

Nothing more gratifying than cutting joints with a nice sharp saw except maybe planing the wood first with a nice, sharp hand plane. When you say you have limited recourses I hope you don't mean limited trees. I know clearcutting is rampant in depressed economies near forests, and I know Brazil has been decimated in many ares, but I hope you aren't near one.

What is the state of the economy over there, and has the government ever enforced any of the plethora of forest-saving limits/laws and regs it has pledged over the past couple of decades?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts