Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, joined up to hoping to gain insight on some projects I've taken on recently. Been lurking awhile, time to join.

I've remodeled a number of homes myself in the last 15 years, but have recently ventured into restoring and refinishing antique furniture.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my last large-scale project. It involved a lot more than just wood working, but there are some elements I'm proud of. With the exception of the carpet and a few odds and ends things, my wife and I did all the work to remodel and restore this "hunting cabin" built in 1959. Most of the house was gutted down to the studs where I replaced a lot of electrical, plumbing, and added foam insulation. (snows here)

The decor and staging was done by my wife. We've rented this place as a vacation cabin for the last year, but we're currently in escrow as we're leaving California. I finished this in March 2013.

Bedroom 1.

Bedroom 2.

New deck on piers. New paint. Haven't done much else to the outside.

Dining area looking into living room. Added log lintels, which are kiln dried and channel cut with a chainsaw. I then sized the channel with a 30 grit wheel on an angle grinder. Added wood accent wall. Antique buffet/server sits there now. Bannister is original, will get redone some time later.

Living room. Interior doors are all Orepac prehung, I just finished them and added hardware.

Kitchen: We didn't have the budget to replace all the cabinets and I don't have the tools to make them, so I just cleaned up and painted the birch cabinets that were put in by the previous owner back in the 1970s. Cut the upper doors and routed to accept a pane of glass. Added natural stone to the counter tops to keep with the suburban-mountain theme we were going for.

A little more detail of the cabinets and counter.

Another shot of the kitchen. Replaced the lighting with recessed cans and retextured existing sheetrock.

Reworked the fireplace completely and added the rock. Replaced all windows and added the wood door to the right.

Loft/Master BR. Didn't need to do much here except clean it up. Replaced windows, and fixtures, new flooring and vanity.

I'm going to miss this place. Even though we rented it a lot, we also spent a fair amount of time there.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow! Everything looks great. Welcome to the site.

Reactions: divern

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed!
So if you don't mind my asking---leaving Ca.---where to?

Reactions: divern

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I'm impressed!
So if you don't mind my asking---leaving Ca.---where to?
Thank you.

Your neck of the woods. We bought a house on a few acres about a 1/2 hour south of Ft Worth. We're bringing the last bit of red left in California with us.:smile:

My next big project will be to remodel the new place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts