Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time looker at the forum here and woodworker but finally decided to join!

Anyway, glad to be here.

So I'm basically trying to move away from high cost of subcontracting out cnc work and seeing what can and cannot be done with my products.

On to the questions....

#1)

I need to make this:

Now before you say, "oh come on this is easy" , let me give you some parameters.

All 4 corners have to be done in less than 20 seconds, you are cutting tempered hardboard 1/4" I prefer not to use a router or cnc.

I was hoping someone knew of a machine that could press the corners or some tool that could quickly do it.

Thanks in advance....

Daniel

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hey all, long time looker at the forum here and woodworker but finally decided to join!

Anyway, glad to be here.

So I'm basically trying to move away from high cost of subcontracting out cnc work and seeing what can and cannot be done with my products.

On to the questions....

#1)

I need to make this:

Now before you say, "oh come on this is easy" , let me give you some parameters.

All 4 corners have to be done in less than 20 seconds, you are cutting tempered hardboard 1/4" I prefer not to use a router or cnc.

I was hoping someone knew of a machine that could press the corners or some tool that could quickly do it.

Thanks in advance....

Daniel
I dunno what you have against a router table. You could do all 4 corners of a stack of 10 of those (40 corners, ~2.5" stack) in under a minute with a round over bit on a router table.:smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
nothing against a table...I have one I made as an attachment to my table saw........

I still don't understand how I can get a radius with a mounted router table and still be perfect. unless you mean on a bearing

is there some sort of guide for corners?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
it just dawned on me.... make a jig and have the 10? or more boards on edge....right?

wow, amazing....I feel like such a moron :p ..... such a simple solution.

I was trying to keep the dust down a bit....but i realize 10x per minute can't be beat....

·
John
3,028 Posts
it just dawned on me.... make a jig and have the 10? or more boards on edge....right?

wow, amazing....I feel like such a moron :p ..... such a simple solution.

I was trying to keep the dust down a bit....but i realize 10x per minute can't be beat....
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
994 Posts
You get dust no matter which way you remove the corners, unless you have a giant press that can stamp them out cleanly. Standing up and clamped together to run past a roundover bit with the radius you need is going to be the best solution you'll find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
excellent. Really appreciate the advice here.... it's already saved me tons of headache. I am going to make a jig to easily slide 5-10 pieces in and run the corners thru the router. Sometimes it would help if I turned my brain on :)

I have thought of the press idea. I have several cardboard templates that I use, but I wasn't sure it would work for 1/4" masonite/hardboard.

Does anyone have any experience stamping parts out of this material? does the edge come out well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts