Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago about some logs that I picked up from someone's yard that they were throwing away. I found out that the tree was a hemlock. The pictures show the finished bowl after I experimented with drying in a microwave.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's meant to be a salt cellar and have a lid but the drying on the lid didn't go as well. I believe I heated it too quick. I will try again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I microwaved it on defrost for 2.5 minutes multiple times over a few days. Wrapped in paper towel and dried it until the towel came out dry. Let it cool for 30 minutes to an hour after each time. Probably 4 to 5 times a day.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have dried blanks in the microwave but not finished pieces. I turn them to finish then put them in a closet for a few days. Some will warp a bit but have only lost a couple out of dozens. I do turn thin though usually 1/4" or less on anything green.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I turned mine down but left it thick. After it dried I put it back on the lathe and turned it to finish.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Those bowls don't look very thick. They would probably dry quite successfully in a few days without doing anything. Just put them up somewhere where there is no direct sun a very little air movement. I dry bowls that are bout 3/8" thick this way all the time. Rarely takes more than about 5 days. If I turn them thinner 2 to 3 is norm.

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
not so much 'be spalted ' as spalts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalting
Good info, thanks.. I was already planning on retrieving several old downed big leaf maple logs but also have red alder, hemlock and black heart cottonwoods, and in my swamp, spruce

About to recover a fallen old growth wild cherry as well.. but it's in prime shape, going to slab out the base (its 2 feet diameter plus) for my pool hall and wet bar countertop and use the rest for Darkmoor products

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I turned mine down but left it thick. After it dried I put it back on the lathe and turned it to finish.
That's exactly how I've used a microwave, to speed up the drying between rough turning and finish turning.

But how you got there is less important than the fact that this is a very nice bowl -- great job :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts