Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, my first post here and I figured I better join a wood workers forum to ask the Guru's for information.
I have searched Google for about 40 mins trying to find these braces or brackets that make this below box.
I saw it on Craigslist and said wow that is a cool box! So I bought it to use as a template to make other boxes in a similar fashion.
The wood is thin about 1/4 thick. The owner said it was used to house a concrete cutting saw. I thought the thing would be fairly small until he took it out of his truck.
L 33"
W 11 1/2 "
H 18 1/4 "

Since the wood is thin it makes the box light but the brackets at the edges make it strong. I am impressed since I have never seen a wooden box this thin but so strong and sturdy, I guess it would have to be since it had a gas powered cutting saw inside it.

Does anyone have any idea where these brackets are made or what catalog I could order these from? I have never seen anything like that except some from an erector set. ;) Who knows maybe that's what became of them. I think they were Swedish also :)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Nope nothing close to it.

That's what makes this thing so tricky. The parts might come from a custom source or specialty place.

The framing material is called metal gusset.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I can think of two ways to do something similar to what I see in the picture.

1) Use simple extruded angle. Ignore the holes in the stuff on the box you got, those are almost certainly there for decoration and lightness. If you're using 1/4" material for the sides, use 1" aluminum angle on the outside, with pre-manufactured box corners for the corners. Use a material that won't move (plywood or something similar) and either screw or epoxy it to the angles and corners. If you want extra reinforcement, use 3/4" angle on the insides of the corners as well.

2) Use the aluminum double-angle from the place woodnthings recommended, and follow their instructions on how to attach it.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
The metal material is made and installed by machine. The wood is inserted and the metal is press fit into the wood and cut to size. Before the metal is pressed into the wood short spikes are cut into the metal at each hole. If you look close the metal is bent 90 deg. to make a short spike that is pressed into the wood. Like a bunch of staples.

We receive shipments with these same fasteners only the containers are larger and the little holes are bigger. If you try to remove the metal strips you'll ruin the wood trying.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much!

Hey guys, thanks so much for your help.

I even sent a letter to Husqvarna in the hopes I might get their supplier.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take so here was their response . ;)

If you are referring to our power cutter saw box. They are produced in Sweden, drawings and specs for current production equipment are not available for release.

George Halsey
Manager, Technical Services
Husqvarna Construction Products

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I will bet all the tools in my shop I am right about the metal edges on the Husq box. Today we received one with triangle holes. They work just like gang nailers on roof trusses.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sir are correct

The manufacture of this box is definitely done all in one shot. I will post more detailed pics here soon.

So getting the Aluminum right angle material is on the money.
I believe 1 x 1 1/16 thickness should do just fine.

The lid will be easy since I can use 1/4 thickness ujoint and press them in and secure them with either rivets or glue.

The box just had me intrigued.

Sure it's not what I would consider to be a true woodcrafted box but I had been banging arround the idea in my head for a long time and found the box on Craigslist on a lark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts