Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when i didn't think the bar could be set lower.....

How do they think they can sell this kinda stuff....

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it was flipped over so the bow was in the middle....there was more than 6 inches of a gap.....and that's a 6 foot board....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohh...there ya go.....they should raise the price and sell it as rocker runners....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sad part is...they have alot more like that.....

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I remember when precut studs were completely knot free. Now you have many with bark on 3 sides. Just how small are the trees being cut today. I know for a fact we can plant far more than we cut down and use.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does suck that the quality of wood is no where near where it used to be. I tore out a wall in my house which was built in the 60's.....and the 2x4's were knot free and straight....

today you go buy 2x4's and 1 out of 10 is decent quality....

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
2x4s are 2x4s and that's all they'll be.
Not really meant for anything fine in my book.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure......I agree they're for construction......(for clarification the board shown above is a pine 1x8 supposedly select quality).......but even construction....I want a wall thats straight and well constructed......its not uncommon for alot of 2x4's to be off an inch or more over the length today.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've noticed that older lumber has less space between the growth rings than newer. I wonder if fertilizers are being used to grow trees faster, resulting in more space between the rings, and more warping and twisting?

·
Registered
996 Posts
The stores aren't to blame for all the bad boards.
When we go to the rack of 2x4s and looking for straight ones, you just throw the bad ones to the back. If they were always stacked back up like they should, a lot less of them would be so warped.

The wood itself has a lot to do with it but careless shoppers don't help either.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not all bowed boards are bad.
Sometimes i find nice clear ones that everyone throws back with bows.
They work great for small toys.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
HalVT said:
I've noticed that older lumber has less space between the growth rings than newer. I wonder if fertilizers are being used to grow trees faster, resulting in more space between the rings, and more warping and twisting?
Space between rings has more to do with the growing season. Harsh weather, early winter and amount of rain. You also might be comparing southern grown wood to northern grown. The Stradivarius violin might have better tone quality due to the years the wood was grown in. Called the little ice age. The wood has a tighter growth ring.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The fact is that trees do not grow as fast as they can be cut down. When you begin to deplete the older growth trees, (all of those clear, tight-grained boards are usually old growth) then you have to rely on newer growth trees, 2nd growth trees, smaller trees, etc.. It is the nature of natural resource consumption. As for the bowing and warpage, mostly, that happens when drying the wood too quickly. Given that most construction lumber being used today is 'green', it is not being dried under controlled conditions of any sort, not even stickering. So there you go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts