Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted how much I hated sanding large pieces of wood and I don’t know if anybody has seen this, but I think it’s a great Idea.

I just got rid of a treadmill last spring and I pondered over it for a few days trying to think of something that I could salvage parts for, but ended up tossing it. If I would have seen this, I would have a giant belt sander right now.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
Can you imagine how hard it would be to control pressing the wood down on a belt. Then you would have to figure out how to set the wood straight down on the sander and pick it straight up. If you just lifted one end it would radius the other end. If you want to make a homemade sander think more on the line of a stroke sander. It would be easier to build and even easier to control the sanding.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you just lifted one end it would radius the other end. ..
The piece would have to longer than needed so it could be cut square. And I think as long the table under the belt was flat and sturdy, you would only need to press down in the center.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Can you imagine how hard it would be to control pressing the wood down on a belt. Then you would have to figure out how to set the wood straight down on the sander and pick it straight up. If you just lifted one end it would radius the other end. If you want to make a homemade sander think more on the line of a stroke sander. It would be easier to build and even easier to control the sanding.
That was my first thought as well, imagine trying to pick up a 3/4" thick cabinet door, good bye fingerprints.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know when I use my harbor freight 6” belt sander, I usually just slide my piece off of the side to avoid any round edges and I’m sure it could also be done here as well. As much as I've used it I have never lost any finger prints. :smile:

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I don’t know when I use my harbor freight 6” belt sander, I usually just slide my piece off of the side to avoid any round edges and I’m sure it could also be done here as well. As much as I've used it I have never lost any finger prints. :smile:
I believe there is a difference between handling small items on a 6" wide belt and larger heavier items on a 16" wide belt, if it will work for you go for it.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe there is a difference between handling small items on a 6" wide belt and larger heavier items on a 16" wide belt, if it will work for you go for it.
Well you know it can always be turned off before picking it up :smile:

·
Registered
226 Posts
While I don't think this would be good for flat things like panels I bet it would be great for faring outside radius curves. I would want a fence running horizontally as well. I also wonder how it would work to set it on its side as opposed to lying flat.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
While I don't think this would be good for flat things like panels .
What! Are you kidding me or even thinking this out? I can't think of any reason why not. :huh:
If the table underneath is flat while the belt is being pulled through and an even amount of pressure is being applied from above it has to work. What the heck are you guys thinking? The belt is not hanging in the air unsupported and if a 250 lb person can run on top of this thing It's not going to sag.

Let me ask, Have any of you ever even been on a treadmill before?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not saying it won't work. Actually I think it has merit. But most wide belt sanders have a table or feed belt mounted underneath to hold the work piece level in relation to the belt. The sand flea system is actually a drum sander mounted through a slot in a table that the work glides over.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've never used a drum sander, but I don't like idea of such a small surface actually working on the wood. It seams to me that a slight bump could make a mark. I guess if there were more than one drum, it would help prevent that.

Anyway I saw this other other drum sand made from a tread mill before I saw the flat one, but I wasn't so impressed. Although I love the idea of utilizing something headed for the trash to make something else.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
..But most wide belt sanders have a table or feed belt mounted underneath to hold the work piece level in relation to the belt.
I'm still trying to figure this out. So you don't know that there "IS" a table under the belt?
I think you missed something because there is a table or flat surface under the belt. This why I had asked if you guys had ever seen a tread mill because it sounds like you think the belt is just hanging in mid air like a hammock.
I'm not just seeing it and I just don't know why you would not think there is a table under it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts