Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to improve my finishing , here is a picture showing 1/2 rubbed with 0000 steel wool. This is walnut that has been sprayed 3 times, with shellac, sanded 220 first time then 340 block sanded and before this 400 wet block sanded. I keep getting the grain telegraphing through?
This is a crib and there are many many joints to sand and I am not only getting tired of rubbing but frustrated as well.
Yes I probably should have already looked into grain fillers! But for the next project what GRAIN FILLER would you try? Or better what have you used and would recommend???
some I have looked at purchasing: CrystaLac Wood Grain Filler,OLD MASTERS Natural Tone Woodgrain Filler , and Behlen H3963 Pore-O-Pac™ Paste Grain Filler are a few of the ones I have looked at. I have also read about pumice and shellac...

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all, as far as the problematic joints these are the mortises where the crib slats are attached to rails, just a pain to sand,,, somebody had mentioned that 220 was too aggressive in another post , I plan to polish the finish as it is, I already feel like the Karate Kid "sand the floor" and besides that I used BLO on the bare wood and during the last sanding (wet sand 400 grit) I got a light spot, like sanding through stain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.