Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
I use an oil based grain filler from Mohawk Finishing Products. Sherwin Williams also makes a good grain filler but it comes only in a natural color. You would need to have it tinted to walnut color to work well with that wood. It's not a problem, they can tint it for you.

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
Yes 220 is too coarse to sand a final finish to polish. Even if you wet sand with 400 grit you will have to do a lot of sanding to polish out the scratches 400 grit makes. I normally don't sand with anything coarser than 1200 grit when I intend to rub a finish out. 1800 grit would be better. If you have a spot that is particularly rough or needs a lot of sanding and the finish is very thick you can sand it with a coarser paper but like wood from there you have to sand it over and over progressively with finer and finer paper until you get to about 1800 grit before using rubbing compound. If you don't have enough finish to begin with you will end up sanding through it before you get it rubbed out. If 220 grit is needed you probably should just put another coat of finish on after you sand it and when dry then sand the finish out with the finer paper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.