Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often joked that "rustic" is just another word for junk and in some cases that may be true. Re-purposed wood has a lot of character and sometimes a great story behind it. If the joinery is solid and the piece is well thought through and built to last, then it is not junk. It's is really fun to build but I'll stop short of calling it "fine" furniture and enjoy it for what it is.

I love old douglas fir and this latest batch of re-purposed timbers I've acquired are diamonds in the rough. I'm tempted to plane it and sand it all smooth, much of it being clear with tight vertical grain, but I am keeping much of the "character" in tack.

This is going to be a complete dining set, table and six chairs. This is what is looks like so far.

Oh, by the way, my arm still hurts. Manhandling these timbers around the shop isn't helping but what can I say. I just can't stay out of the shop.

P5020088.jpg

P5100103.jpg

P5100104.jpg

P5100105.jpg

P5100106.jpg

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You never cease to amaze me.

Subscribed

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
I'm just the opposite.
I appreciate fine joinery w/detailed carvings as well as fine high quality furniture and massive time spent on joinery and finishes, yet I wouldn't want any part of peces like that for myself, except in certain settings. Not my taste.
This is a rustic country piece and where I'm moving in the mountains of NC, this is in high demand. I like it.

That said, my mainstay is extreme contemporary with live edge features.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts