Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Design has been around for well over 100 years with very few changes over time.. I lost my regular cheapo knife somewhere. Kind of an interesting story behind the Opinel. Mostly sold farmers and field hands, but it's one of the old standby knives..

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have also had one for many many years. It is my go to knife in the shop. I love the simple locking ring. I wish they made one with a sheeps foot blade (like a straight razor). Of course, I could grind it but it would lose a good deal of blade length.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,666 Posts
does it fold up to make a pocket knife ? (I've never seen one before)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Design has been around for well over 100 years with very few changes over time.. I lost my regular cheapo knife somewhere. Kind of an interesting story behind the Opinel. Mostly sold farmers and field hands, but it's one of the old standby knives..
View attachment 429481
View attachment 429481
Year, it's very comfortable to handle... anyone who loves
barbecue parties cant miss to have this knife.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the carbon blade version so it's already discolored cutting up fruit and whatever, but darned handy little knife.. You can open them (almost) single handed or at least tap the pointy end on a hard surface if the blade get too tight inside the wood handle.. Just hold by the hinge side and tap..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opinel is probably one of the most copied knives made. There's only a small number of parts, 5 I think..

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I carried many different knives over the years. I got tired of the big heavy ones weighing down my pocket. For the last decade or so, I have carried a Leatherman Micra. It is very small and light in my pocket. It does what I want and works well.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I carried many different knives over the years. I got tired of the big heavy ones weighing down my pocket. For the last decade or so, I have carried a Leatherman Micra. It is very small and light in my pocket. It does what I want and works well.
Same here, but I use my pocket knives to do just about anything that needs something sharp, but I'm a habitual loser of lots of small items.
Every time I even think I haven't lost an item I use every day yet I know deep down it's gonna disappear..
As much as I envy people with the organization gene it was never part of the inner workings of my brain..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts