Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in my basement, and have two casing windows at ground level, one on either end of "my shop".

Does anyone know where I can locate a good twin blade window fan that moves plenty of air for dust removal?

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
You could just put a basic 20" box fan at both ends... one blowing in, and the other blowing out....That way it creates some air flow with out kicking up too much dust/debris either, and it is rather economical

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
You might do better getting a furnace blower that has the motor seperate from the fan. That way the dust is drawn toward the blower instead of the fan motor. I get them from my local heat and air company. They draw nearly as much air as a spray booth fan.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Ditto Steve: Lots of people upgrading central heating furnaces, the fans and motors are quiet, too.
I need a positive supply air to get anything to move out the other window, just exhaust is not as good as having another one pumping in. Sure would like to be able to do that in the middle of my winter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
To solve the window size problem, build a portable stand on casters for the blower and a plywood transition from the blower to the window just pushed up to the opening. Can be moved from the window at any time you might need to.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Where do you live? Reason I ask, if you live in an area that is cold in the winter, you could be dumping alot of conditioned air outside by doing this. If you use a furnace blower, you also want to make sure that you have a relief air coming into the space. Is your furnace/hotwater heater in the same vicinity? If so, you could also be pulling in carbon monoxide if you don't have the right amount of relief air coming in.

I don't want to sound pessimistic... Just want to make you aware of potential effects that could happen.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
A furnace blower will move ALOT of air in a small space. They usually are wired for 3 different speeds, and you could make an easy transition fitting to fit into the window opening.

If you lived close by, I have 3 in my shed right now, and you are more than welcome to have one. If you want to pay for shipping, I could ship one to you. PM me if you are interested. If you gave me the Actual window size, I could probably fabricate a transitional peice for you too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I twin blade
Why does the number of blades matter?

If you want high air flow and even high delta P check out your local HVAC place and ask if they will hand you a used HVAC squirrel cage fan with a functioning motor. Often people have them replaced because the bearings are making noise. You can replace the bearings. The HVAC company was just going to toss it in the trash anyway. Give the guy who helps you a ten spot.
They take up very little space and run very quietly. you can place them anywhere you want and use any kind of ducting to run the exhaust out of the building
so you don't have to hang it in the window, you can put it in an unused corner somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well originally I build a casing cover with a window built in, and a 4 inch exhaust port hooked up to a 172 cfm high power inline fan, but it did jack and ****. (As you can imagine being 172 cfm)

I was thinking one of these kinds of fans honestly.

But I will look into one of these furnace blowers. See if I can find one on craigslist, or a local hvac company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts