Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the seals in a couple of pumps and figure I'll replace the bearings while I've got the motors on the bench. I'd appreciate any recommendations for where to buy bearings. I figure McMaster Carr is one, but would love to know of others.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
There are two bearing shops/stores in my local area. I wonder whether they are common in many urban areas, or I am lucky to have them near me. Here is the one I went to first. According to one Yelp reviewer, they can get you nearly any bearing at a reasonable prices. All the reviews were five stars.

I walked in, and there was the owner, Allen. He was friendly and helpful, and had what I needed. After my experience there, I never bothered to check out the other bearing shop.

Orange County Bearing, Inc.
Allen Volz, owner
1257 N. Batavia St.
Orange CA 92867

Phone: (714) 532-6518
FAX: (714) 532-1056
Email: [email protected]
Established 1973

·
Smart and Cool
1,938 Posts
I'm replacing the seals in a couple of pumps and figure I'll replace the bearings while I've got the motors on the bench. I'd appreciate any recommendations for where to buy bearings. I figure McMaster Carr is one, but would love to know of others.
There are a good number of bearing suppliers online, determine the number, go shopping, EbAy and Amazon are even good sources. A general ROT used to be that the better bearings had a COO of Japan, sometimes Taiwan, others can be a ymmv.

McMaster Carr is always a great source, and quick, if you don't mind not knowing what the shipping cost is until it is out the door. I recently ordered some 30" pipe flanges for a metal project, knew the shipping was going to be a bit pricey due to the weight. I even asked before hand, got a quote of $30, yet when it shipped it was $45(which is what I expected).

·
Nine Thumbs
346 Posts
Almost every city that has almost any industry or commercial businesses will have a brick and mortar store for bearings, hydraulics, gears, chains and sprockets. They probably aren't on the main boulevard with Old Navy or Bed Bath and Beyond, but they're on the side street somewhere... usually.

I like to use my local guys because I know I can get good precision bearings. The Chinese may often know what the word 'tolerance' means, but with my local cats I feel more secure with real SKF, FAG, Timken or NTN bearings. On eBay, Amazon or other outlets, your bearing might be any old brand- if they are branded at all. Counterfeiting is also a huge problem in the industry as well. At least I have a better chance of getting the real thing from a vendor that does nothing but deal with the quality manufacturers.

If you don't need precision bearings, then Amazon probably rocks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I did half-a-career for 'the world's leading bearing manufacturer'

I lived with differences and tolerances in the tenths of a micron range....

for stuff like motors and fans and pumps and stuff-that-runs-for-hours-one-end..... stick with a name brand.
source is one issue, quality is not the same issue.
no-name knock off "sort kinda the same" Chinese brands are much more likely to fail.
so unless you enjoy rebuilding long-service items every year or so,,,, stick with the real guys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
...If you don't need precision bearings, then Amazon probably rocks.
I would 100% agree with this statement.

While refurbishing my planer and jointer this year I ended up replacing a lot of bearings. I initially started off ordering directly from the manufacturer but with long lead times and several bearings being out of stock I started just measuring the bearings and purchasing them from Amazon. I found I could typically get them delivered in a few days and I'd get 10 bearings from Amazon for the price I'd pay for one from the manufacturer.

I found that these "cheaper" bearings worked well for rollers and other non-essential parts but when I had to replace the main bearings on my jointer cutter head I found a part on Amazon that appeared to be from the same manufacturer and even had the same part number. When I received them they looked exactly the same and even had the same manufacturer's stamping on them. From the moment I installed them and turned on the jointer I could hear and feel that the bearings were junk. I will eventually replace these with bearings from the jointer manufacturer although it looks like I'll be waiting a few more months for them to be back in stock.

Be cautious when purchasing bearings online. I suspect, as others have mentioned on this thread, that there are knock-off bearings that claim to be made by reputable manufacturers.

·
mike44
139 Posts
Check yellow pages or internet for "Power Transmission". Like other posts many cities and larger towns will have a supply house near by. The place I go to carries US made bearings , sprockets, etc only. I have quality pillow block bearings in several tools that I made. The wood lathe has these bearings for 25+ years and the drum sander about 10 years with no problems.
mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
typical non precision bearings are quite inexpensive, look local first
bearing service is a huge bearing supplier in michigan
if you have a part number, they can cross reference it
if you don't have a number, they'll id & od your and look one up

my son & i were replacing bogie wheels on a 1968 skidoo snowmobile
i walked into bearing services, handed the counter guy a bearing and said i need 10 of these
he turned around and pulled a blister pack off the wall behind the counter
skidoo used the same bogies for years and it was that time of year for those toys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts