Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I recently asked for input on scroll saw blades, and have received excellent responses from the scroll sawers on the forum. It occurred to me that some of you may also have a favourite source of supply for good quality band saw blades at a reasonable price. My bandsaw is a 14 inch off-shore model from Busy Bee, many years ago, and uses 93 and 1/2 inch blades. I am sawing up driftwood, and frequently encounter sand and rocks, so I think I will be going through blades at a brisk pace for awhile. I do not know what it would cost to resharpen blades, but expect that it would not be worthwhile for smaller blades. If anyone knows a good cheap resharpen service I could look at that option, after I get a decent stack of dull blades.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry:yes: :yes:

Gerry

·
Registered
569 Posts
This is the web site. I don't see anything about band saw blades. I was at a guys shop yesterday. He had 3 very nice band saws. In one of our conversations he said make sure you remember Timberline band saw blades. He said, they sell them everywhere. He seemed to know what he was talking about. I don't. That's all I know. http://www.amanatool.com/timberline/about_st.htm

·
Registered
569 Posts
I went back and talked to the guy that recomended the Timberline blades. It turns out, he never bought them either. He was just passing on what someone told him. I was trying to resaw some cherry on sun. I was useing a 1/4" blade. It came off. I ran out to Woodcraft. (10 min. away) and got a Olson 1/2" resaw blade. It works great.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back and talked to the guy that recomended the Timberline blades. It turns out, he never bought them either. He was just passing on what someone told him. I was trying to resaw some cherry on sun. I was useing a 1/4" blade. It came off. I ran out to Woodcraft. (10 min. away) and got a Olson 1/2" resaw blade. It works great.
I was trying to saw some notches and tennons in three by six cedar, on the ends, to make the frames for new gates to my compound. I was using a 1/4 by 4 TPI blade, and it also kept coming off. I put a 1/2 by six TPI blade on, and it worked fine. I guess a 1/4 blade is just too flexible for heavy cutting.

Still looking for a good online source for 93-1/2 inch blades.

Gerry:laughing:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am not sure about where yall live but here in Lake Charles, La there are at least 3 saw shops that will make you a bandsaw blade or sharpen the ones you have. I have had 2 blades made for my old 10" delta rockwell and if I remimber right they were like $15.00 to $18.00 each. I would be happy to give phone numbers, but I bet you can find a saw shop closer to where you are.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input handyman.
I am coming to the conclusion that I was really out of touch with bandsaw blade prices. I had some old blades that I hadn't used before, and they still had the price tags on them. Nine to eleven dollars was the range. When I shopped around here all I could find was eighteen and up. However, when I went on line with Timberline, their prices were in the same ballpark. So, I guess I'll just buy local, and accept the fact that the times they have a changed, and I am having difficulty keeping up. It ain't easy getting old.

Gerry

·
Registered
569 Posts
Woodcraft is having a 15% off sale on bandsaw blades. Only 93 1/2" and 105". I was at this place on Fri. that buy's up lot's of old machines. They probably have 50 different machines. There was one bandsaw that had a welder right on the side for welding blades. That's the way it came new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts