Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am making a mudroom bench out of 3/4" plywood. The bench itself is 62" long and 18" deep, I want to make two square boxes on either end for baskets and split the middle compartment horizontally to give me 2 long shelves for shoe storage. My question is how long to make the middle section since it doesn't have a vertical support.

Here is a crude ascii drawing:
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Number

·
Registered
299 Posts
A (I assume 18" X 18") square box on each end leaves a 26" span for your shelves. 3/4" ply should be more than enough support for shoes, without having to reference the Sagulator.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
a single piece of 3/4" plywood by itself is a poor design for a bench over a foot long. just like any table the bench needs a vertical support board to keep it from bowing. a vertical board running the length of the span front and rear would be a minimum, since they run under the top out of sight, you could run multiple boards or just solid wood, a solid back also helps. you'd need to continue the vertical board under the top of the side compartments too, even the planned shelf for shoes will eventually sag without anything supporting it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a single piece of 3/4" plywood by itself is a poor design for a bench over a foot long. just like any table the bench needs a vertical support board to keep it from bowing. a vertical board running the length of the span front and rear would be a minimum, since they run under the top out of sight, you could run multiple boards or just solid wood, a solid back also helps. you'd need to continue the vertical board under the top of the side compartments too, even the planned shelf for shoes will eventually sag without anything supporting it

I will have a 1/4" backing board and horizontal supports running the length of the bench at the top. I also plan on a face frame of poplar that I don't know will add any additional support. Here are the rough plans for the bench itself.

Rectangle Parallel Font Drawing Diagram

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
The two supports 18" from each end should be sufficient support. However you do need something other than just a plain 3/4 piece of plywood for visual aesthetics. A 1x2 either at the edge or set back would be nice.

George

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two supports 18" from each end should be sufficient support. However you do need something other than just a plain 3/4 piece of plywood for visual aesthetics. A 1x2 either at the edge or set back would be nice.

George
The front has a face frame made of 1x2 poplar. I included that in the drawing, this is what it looks like without the facing:
Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel Drawing Sketch

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
the face frame, solid back and the double1x6 spanning the dividers look good
i'd sit on it 😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts