Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find a place to buy good pocket screws in bulk. I've used Kreg and to be honest I snap the heads off of 1 in 10 and it is annoying as anything. They also don't make anything fine threaded over 2". I'd love your advice as to where else to look and what brand you like. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well, I've only used McFeelys and Kreg. The McFeelys are of very good manufacturer, but a slightly different size and head design. But then, I don't have a problem with the Kreg screws ether.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
MT Stringer said:
After driving over 1000 of the Kreg pocket screws, I have yet to break one. Lucky, I guess.
Haven't driven that many but have never had a problem with Kreg screws.
Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts
I to have not sheared the head off while using them. One solution may be to dial your clutch back on the driver. Also if you are using an impact type driver then you may very well shear them off as I have done so on some bugle head deck screws in hard wood

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
After driving over 1000 of the Kreg pocket screws, I have yet to break one. Lucky, I guess.

No...

The coarse thread screws can (and will) break depending on the wood...

And the fine thread screws can (and will) strip out inside the threads...

:yes:

Got to know which wood 'needs' which threads... :yes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
MT Stringer said:
I have easily used that amount of kreg screws, and have never had a problem either. I have never tried another brand besides kreg.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The coarse thread screws can (and will) break depending on the wood...

And the fine thread screws can (and will) strip out inside the threads...
As said above, too much torque.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies y'all. I'm driving them into 100 year old barnwood so I realize that has something to do with it. The shorter fine threaded screws work fine but they don't make the fine threads in 2 and 2 1/2 inch length which I need.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Can the mods set up a filter so that Cabinetman CANNOT reply to posts with the key word "pocket hole". Or at least a have an automaticlly randomly generated snide reply posted. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

j/k
What's next...biscuits?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
645 Posts
What are you using to drive your pocketscrews? Are you using the Kreg setup? I'd like to know more about your process if possible.

Thanks,

Curtis

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Thanks for the replies y'all. I'm driving them into 100 year old barnwood so I realize that has something to do with it. The shorter fine threaded screws work fine but they don't make the fine threads in 2 and 2 1/2 inch length which I need.
I think that putting some toilet bowl wax on the threads will help a lot! I've also used Palmolive dishwashing liquid as a lube. It works well but the wax works better.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I think that putting some toilet bowl wax on the threads will help a lot! I've also used Palmolive dishwashing liquid as a lube. It works well but the wax works better.
I keep a bar of soap in the shop just for that very purpose. It works well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with the last two posts. Lubricate each screw, even with spit, wax, or soap. Just make sure it won't interfere with your finish. If I'm using a hardwood, I take the extra step of predrilling. Yes, it slow's the process, but the results are fantastic. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Gatordust said:
Agree with the last two posts. Lubricate each screw, even with spit, wax, or soap. Just make sure it won't interfere with your finish. If I'm using a hardwood, I take the extra step of predrilling. Yes, it slow's the process, but the results are fantastic. ;)

Steve
How do you keep the angle correct for pocket screws. I have never pre drilled wood for a pocket screw and never had the wood plot or break a screw.
Tom

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've done a few by drilling right through the pilot hole created by the jig.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts