Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, folks. I am refacing some old oak kitchen cabinets with 1/8" baltic birch. It's a very tedious process, but seems a bit more realistic than 10 mil veneer. This is a very light wood, which I like, and very similar to maple. Can anyone refer me to a high quality door supplier? The only ones I've found that seem reasonable are in Canada, and that was great when the Canadian dollar was a lot weaker. But that is no longer the case. I want a Shaker style, 3/4" solid wood door with a natural finish.

Also, are there any particular advantages to hard maple vs. white birch for cabinet doors?

Thanks,
Bob D.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We bought new doors & drawer fronts for our kitchen cabinets earlier this year from Evans Cabinet & Door in TX. We bought unfinished maple shaker style doors with MDF panels, as we were going to paint them. Very happy with the quality & customer service.

·
Ancient Termite
1,133 Posts
You can make the doors quite easily. I'm assuming overlay.

Cut some ¼ birch plywood the size of the door opening plus an inch in each direction. Make a frame, 2½ wide and glue the pieces to the birch plywood. The technique gives the illusion of Shaker style cope and stick doors.

Yeah, I know it is blasphemy but sometimes quick and cheap is necessary.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Replacement doors are big business in UK. We even have a store in our small town. This is much cheaper than replacing the whole kitchen. Existing carcases are reused.
johnep

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I bought some doors from Scherr's a wile back. They'll make any size and use any kind of wood. They were quick, did an excellent job and as I recall, the price was quite reasonable. The doors were accurate and dead flat.
Happy customer here...

https://scherrs.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts