Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Hoyett. I have been playing with cabinets and plaque making for some time now. It's a hobby and my winter get-a-way from daily frustrations. I am also in the Navy Reserves and we make several different types of plaques for different Naval Commands.

I was asked this past weekend to build a military shadow box in the shape of a pentagon. I initially thought it would be easy. 72 degree angle, two 36 degree miters and I'm done. Well, I was kidding myself. I can not set up my miter saw for the angles. Any suggestions???

Hoyett

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome aboard Hoyett. I live just east of you in Park Forest.

A pentagon has 5 sides whith each angle equalling 72. The miter of this is 36 degrees. If you set up a stop block so your pieces all are exactly the same, and your saw is set perfectly, you should get a perfect fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I tried that but it didn't work out too good. I am trying to find a set-up jig of sorts to make it easy and repeatable...

Hoyett

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hoyett.
What are you using to cut the angles, miter box? Why can't you set it for a 36 degree cut? If you did and it didn't come out right, the saw needs to be checked and tuned. Most fences are movable. Once you make sure you are cutting 90 degrees at 90 degrees, then you can work on that elusive 36 degree angle. You may need a good, accurate adjustable protractor for this. They are available at places like woodcraft, rocklers, etc. I have one with very fine graduations and easy to read. Figure out how long you want the sides to be and clamp a stop block to the miter saw fence so you get a repeatable cut. If the sides are longer than the fence, fasten an auxilary fence to the existing one and go from there. Shouldn't be too hard at that point. Use some scraps first and do a mock up. If the angle is off just a touch, make a fine adjustment and try it again. Once you get it right, make some extras, sounds like a nice project that you can't just stop at one.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I attempted with no success to square up my dewalt miter chop saw. I could figure out how and what to adjust. I assumed it would come squared to me from the factory. I was wrong. I am going to get back in the basement this weekend and see if I can come up with the 36 degrees I need.

Hoyett

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck on your project. I've noticed the guys on here are very helpful. I read a lot of the posts here to learn.

BTW - I'm from Mokena originally.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts