Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info, or personal experience with this 10" band saw, its selling on offer up for $75 but says "could use a little TLC, like new tires, or new brushes on motor" is this a decent deal or should I keep looking?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Knowing it needs repairs, I wouldn't buy it, even for $75. In addition, a 10" saw isn't going to be very powerful or do well at strenous tasks like resawing

·
Registered
682 Posts
I forget from your other posts exactly what kind of projects you like to do, and want to do in the future. That is a light duty saw, and doesn't have a fence. Sure you can clamp a piece of wood to the table for a fence, but if you will be using it a lot you want a real fence.

You may need to replace the motor, or have it repaired, $$$.

I've been watching Craig's list for used bandsaws within 250 miles of me, there are very few good hobbyist saws and then they are almost the $$$ of a new one.

·
Smart and Cool
2,456 Posts
Knowing it needs repairs, I wouldn't buy it, even for $75. In addition, a 10" saw isn't going to be very powerful or do well at strenous tasks like resawing
There is really nothing about it being a 10" saw that makes it less powerful, depends on what motor is on it.

If he wants to resaw it isn't the correct saw, true, but for folks like me that don't resaw it would be a great little saw, for a decent price.

So there are 2 distinct lanes, if you want to resaw, this isn't your saw, if you want a band saw for the 100's of other things they can do, this might be a decent place to start, throw a $50 offer at them...

·
Generic Weeb
1,073 Posts
Personally if I had that I'd build a better stand for it. One that kept the motor and belt better protected. Ask to see it run before you buy it, looks pretty clean though.

-T

·
where's my table saw?
29,386 Posts
Bandsaws are great no matter the size. My 10" Craftsman/Rikon was put to the test sawing 3" - 4 " firewood log to length and it worked just splendid with a 1/3 HP motor.
The saw you show looks very well made and heavy duty to me. The motor looks large enough to be 1/2 HP or more. The table has a miter slot and the castings look well reinforced for strength. A new 10": saw will run around $200.00 or more, so this is a reasonable price. Who's to say whether the tires are so old and dry they need replacement? You must see it in person a cut something on it like a 2 X 4 on edge to see the power it has. The blade must have sharp teeth and not more than 6 per inch for general purposes cutting. The real drawback of a small 10" bandsaw is the quality and types of blades that are available. They are out there, but you need to shop around OR find a source that will make them to your length. They must be 0.025" thick ad no more, because of the small wheel diameter they need to travel around. This means more flexing of the metal than on a larger wheel diameter, so a thinner blade is required.
You could do far worse for the same money and IF you find a need for a larger saw, this one will still have a use for small projects. I know this because I own about 6 woodcutting bandsaws from 10" to 18" in size and I use and like them all!

Reactions: shoot summ
1 - 7 of 7 Posts