Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been torturing myself with the purchase of a track saw. Really want one to simplify cutting sheet goods for a million cabinet/built-in projects I want to do in my little workshop. Tired of roughing to size with a circ saw and then final on TS. So after weeks of research into the 3 primary competitors (festool, dewalt, and makita) I just pulled the trigger on the Makita. And one reason is this deal.

Home Depot has it listed for $319 w/ the 55" guide rail or $268 as a bare tool with free shipping to your house. Deal is good thru 1/31. It's back-ordered but said they expect shipping mid Feb and won't charge card until it ships. I also bought the 118" guide rail for $259 including shipping from another website: FactoryAuthorizedOutlet.com. HD's price was a bit cheaper but the truck shippng would have been almost $100. That puts my saw with two rails at $600 if I include the $22 sales tax that HD charged. The Dewalt set-up with both rails is listed in some places for as little as $548 but I've called every vendor on the internet and it's not in stock anywhere and Dewalt has none so wait time is totally unknown. The Festool starts at $585 with a 55" inch track non negotiable and the longer track is over $300.

Thought you all might be interested. Happy shopping. Can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Any chance you looked at the grizzly one. I never saw it or used it but heard good things for the price.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I recently got the Makita from Amazon on the same deal. I have used it a few times now and I am really happy with it. The only thing lacking is that it doesn't have a riving knife. I don't think that's much of a factor for a track saw. I didn't get the 118 in rail but I did get the track clamps. I didn't order them at first but after I used it a few times I decided I wanted them. I use mine for breaking down sheet goods but, with the clamps, I can also use it for cutting down rough lumber.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance you looked at the grizzly one. I never saw it or used it but heard good things for the price.
Looked at it. Read some and watched the wood whisperer review. Didn't seem like a very high quality tool and the rocking in the track turned me off. I also didn't like that they don't have a long track. If I'm going to cut down plywood I want to be able to rip a full sheet the long way. At $260 it is stupid expensive for a strip of aluminum but in for a penny in for a pound.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently got the Makita from Amazon on the same deal. I have used it a few times now and I am really happy with it. The only thing lacking is that it doesn't have a riving knife. I don't think that's much of a factor for a track saw. I didn't get the 118 in rail but I did get the track clamps. I didn't order them at first but after I used it a few times I decided I wanted them. I use mine for breaking down sheet goods but, with the clamps, I can also use it for cutting down rough lumber.
I read that about the riving knife but didnt see a single person say it was a problem. The only other complaint I saw was a short power cord. I do plan to get the track clamps. I've heard the dewalt clamps are a bit better and cheaper but still fit the makita track.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I looked at the Dewalt clamps but they appear to be just a plastic grip clamp with ends that fit the track. I like the Makita ones, as they are metal and the locking action is very quick a positive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts