Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good accurate dowel jig. Research shows that the Dowelmax and Jessem are two of the better options on the market. However at $200-$250 it is out of price range. Are there any other good options out there for less than $100? How about making a good dowel jig? Any plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the same Craftsman dowel jig. For non-critical work I just use the drop in dowel points to match up the holes.

·
Wishing he had a title...
384 Posts
Find a vintage Stanley #59 on Ebay or Craigslist. WELL under $50. I found a low milage one with the box and all the bushings and have never been dissapointed with the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have also used the Stanley #59 jig for many projects over the years and it has served me very well. And it's available on eBay for short money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought this one from Amazon a while back, have used it a lot. It works perfectly, cost ~$40. Just be sure to adjust/fine tune the center before critical work.

Self Centering Doweling Jig, JoyTube Drilling Guide Positioner Woodworking Doweling Jig Tool Hole Self Centering Locator

·
Registered
312 Posts
I build a lot of cabinet frames that I dowel together.
I used a Stanley 59 for over 30 yrs and it served me well,
I finally broke down and bought a Dowelmax and that's all I use now.
It's expensive, but way more accurate than anything I've tried.

·
Registered
Termite
4,515 Posts
We dowels all face frames in the cabinet shop in the early 80's. Unless you dowel all the time, it's not worth a large investment. I dowel alot and have many bags of dowels I've have for 20+ years.

If you do you might want to look into a bigger doweling machine.

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
I have a General brand and wouldn't recommend it. The guide is made of too soft metal and has gotten too big to be accurate anymore. Then the threaded insert where you tighten it into place just pulled out. I had to glue it in with epoxy to be able to continue to use it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking for a good accurate dowel jig. Research shows that the Dowelmax and Jessem are two of the better options on the market. However at $200-$250 it is out of price range. Are there any other good options out there for less than $100? How about making a good dowel jig? Any plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve used a Dowl-It jig for many years. Works great. I think they are about $50 nowadays.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a bunch of drill bushings from McMaster-Carr and make dowel jigs to suit my needs when I need them. I usually make them out of hardwood and press the bushings into interference fit houses drilled in the wood.

In the 1980s I bought a Leichtung Workshop panel dowel jig like this: Leichtung Double Edge To Edge Doweling Jig 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2" Drill Bushing | eBay. It worked well and I still have it. I'll use it every now and them when the need comes up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts