Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Goldenjul
7 Posts
I have an old Lane cedar chest that belonged to my parents. The veneer was tearing off and the outside was very damaged. My Dad started to refinish it before he died and now i would like to finish the job. He had sanded most of the veneer off and I guess was going to seal it. I would like to know what is the best way to clean it up while trying to get the cedar smell back. I'm not sure if I need to use any kind of Linseed oil on the inside to keep the wood from drying. Also what is the best way to preserve the outside now the veneer has been taken off?
Thank you for any advise.

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
You might post a picture of the chest at the point where you are now. If it were me I would re-veneer the outside and finish it back to how it was originally. The inside of cedar chests are always left raw wood. You can bring back the cedar smell by aggressively sanding the inside.

If you don't want to re-veneer the outside you can always sand the wood and put a finish on it as it is.

·
Goldenjul
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
front.jpg

top.jpg

bottom dirty.jpg
Since I have no idea how to re-veneer I would like to put a finish on it. Not sure what to use for that. The 3 pictures are 1)front view of it on its side 2) the top which I have removed for easier accesss 3)the bottom which is dirty and wasn't sure the best way to clean.

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
You might get a can of ash wood putty for the white part of the grain and a can of mahogany wood putty for the red and fill any damaged spots. Then give it a thorough sanding. What are your thoughts for the finished color? Between the grit changes when sanding if you would wipe the cedar down with water it will aid the sanding process and give you an idea what it would look like with a clear finish.

·
Goldenjul
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure if I should leave it this color or stain it, or at least the top a light stain to try and match the sides and front. The veneer was dark like the color on the legs. You can see one of them in the picture on its side on upper left. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
Finished with only a clear finish cedar has this appearance. The exception is the wood on yours has more white wood. Do you like it? If not it will still have the light and dark areas but the overall color will be darker if you stain it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts