Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 4 year old best friend and my daughter's 2 year old "best friend" are moving away to Seattle ( from conn.). I had been struggling with a going away present to give to them. I had contemplated a box but decided that would be too labor intensive without enough opportunity for the kids to help. When I was 7 I moved to conn from New Jersey and my best friend gave me the below little schoolhouse, which he made with his dad: image-1125647509.jpg image-708782863.jpg image-3754950270.jpg Now, nearly 24 years later, I still treasure the gift. It sits in my shop in a visible spot. I've only had to re glue the chimney on once. I decided that it might be a good thing to duplicate and my son agreed. You can see the two houses with all of the pieces finished. I'll post some build pics next.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First I took some rough measurements of the existing house. About 3.5 x 3" or thereabouts. The I found a piece of scrap pint that was already te right width more of less. I cut the pieces to length on the chop saw after making a "micro adjustable" stop I.e. A block of wood wth a screw in the end clamped to the fence. The fence by te way is not parallel but I didn't matter for this. image-1941273440.jpg image-2281795525.jpg I cut three lengths of the same size for each house. image-586290136.jpg Then I cut two from wider boards from the roofs. image-504607621.jpg One house is a little smaller than the other mostly because the first roof I cut was too narrow. I always mess up when I try to measure with a scale. Then I used a pin marking gauge to mark the thickness of the lower ends of the roof aim the sides nd dividers to find the center. Then I drew a line with a straight edge and marking knife to mark the slope on the ends. Then I put the block in my bench against a strip of 1/4 in oak clamped way down and got to work with my block plane. image-3292821907.jpg You can see the other roof here. image-4009303417.jpg The the kids and I put glue on the bottom two blocks with a big of cereal box as a brush and Clamped them up. Tonight I cleaned up the blocks with a 9 1/2 and 60 1/2 block planes. I made the stairs chimney and bell tower with a chisel and block plane. And all with no vise! Tomorrow painting and writing. I think I will copy the model and go with nail scratches plus color filled in. This had been a very fulfilling project me. The present I received was very meaningful and I hope the process of building and giving will be helpful for my son saying goodbye, and for his friend, as it was for me. Thanks for looking, and Todd, wherever you are, thanks!

image-1112403313.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Those are cool kid's projects that they can give to their friends. They can even color and add personal touches and messages. Great idea and great job!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Kids glued roofs and remaining bits today. Painting and writing tomorrow, then delivery Saturday!

Aside from the writing, I was most nervous about making the roof lines even, but with the marking gauge, bevel gauge and block plane I think it came out alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts