Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to be making an exterior front door. I want to glue up heart pine and mahogany. The reason I’ve chosen to do this is so that the interior of the door will be heart pine with a clear finish and the exterior will be mahogany painted black. I like the look of the heart pine but I don’t think that it will hold up as well to the weather as the mahogany would. I’ve attached an image of a set of doors similar to the doors I’m going to make. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to glue pine to mahogany?

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
Use an exterior glue and it won't be a problem. I made a door that was ash on one side and pine on the other. It was made like two cabinet doors glued together back to back. At the time one side of the door faced a kitchen that was knotty pine and the adjacent room had ash paneling. It later got used for an exterior door and lasted a dozen years or more and because it was built as an interior door didn't last as long as I had hoped.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I do not understand making a door of mahogany and then painting it black. Why not just use white oak?

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not understand making a door of mahogany and then painting it black. Why not just use white oak?

George
I’ve used mahogany in the past for exterior projects and painted it. Do you think that white oak will weather better than mahogany?

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
If you are not necessarily wanting the texture of mahogany to show through the paint you could just make the door completely out of pine. It would paint better than mahogany. Sometimes you have issues with pine bleeding sap through the paint but if you use clear wood or careful in selecting the wood you could seal the knots with sealcoat on the inside and paint it. Sealcoat is a interior finish which would be alright for the inside but not the exterior. You can usually tell by the appearance or the weight of the wood if a pine board is prone to bleed sap. They are usually heavier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts