Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to glue a 1/4-inch oak plywood to the back of a mirror (bathroom cabinet, made from 3/4-inch red oak). I do not want to damage the silver backing on the mirror by using the wrong glue. There are hundreds of glues out there, and of course they all claim to be the best. But what glue is the best for this job?? Thank you.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
I think construction adhesive would probably work.

However, I am with Epic, as I do not see the need for glue. Can you explain just what you are doing?

George

·
Smart and Cool
2,485 Posts
Most mirrors I've seen installed, or had to remove, the installers used a black product similar to roof patch.

I personally would just use a few dabs of silicon.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Go to the adhesives section at a Home Depot or Lowe's. There are some products there that are intended or used to glue mirrors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You must use a mirror mastic adhesive that can be purchased from a local glass shop. Off the shelf liquid nails and construction adhesives will attack the silvering that is the coating that creates the mirror.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The key point is that the mirror/glass and the wood have different rates of expansion with changes in temperature. Even the wood reacts to changes in humidity, the mirror does not. RTV Silicone stays soft enough to stretch a little, many other adhesives set up quite hard.
Me? I'd be intent on making a second one with the mirror free to float.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you use mirror mastic(I would suggest mulco quikset mastic, in the red tube), it stays flexible so that the substrate may move, while the mirror remains rigid. They are also design(as chad says) to preserve the silver backing of the mirror.

Simon

·
Registered
36 Posts
You must use a mirror mastic adhesive that can be purchased from a local glass shop. Off the shelf liquid nails and construction adhesives will attack the silvering that is the coating that creates the mirror.

Yep, mirror mastic from glass store. remains pliable to counter expansion contraction of substrate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.