Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started gluing up a project today and the Titebond III glue had developed like a skin in the tube that the glue tip was attached to. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks BillF

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Old glue?

Are you storing it in extreme heat?

See:
http://www.titebond.com/product/glues/e8d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af

Especially these sentences under "Limitations":
"Store product below 75°F. Storage above this temperature may cause product to thicken and reduce the usable shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form."

When we had a heat wave with several days over 100 degrees recently, I brought the glues inside the house.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think TA has it right. If the glue gets too thick it doesn’t drain back down.

Prolonged storage in heat definitely affects TB viscosity, but I really think the glue is still good. I tested that was 2 yrs out of date, thinned with a little water and it seemed to work fine.

Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to throw away expired glue. Someone else have some experience?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
TBIII does not work in a glue bot - btdt. doesn't seem to matter ho old or new the glue is. it skins over every time. after about 3 bottles, i quit trying. they are great for TBII though!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After cleaning it out yesterday I tried using it again today and before long it started acting up again. I had it stored inside the house as it gets hot here in Nevada. Screw it, I tossed it out and went back to just using the TB bottle. Works great every time. Thanks BillF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts