Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some oak firewood stacked in my bedroom and....
let me back up a bit.
This wood came from a very large red oak that up rooted 3 springs back. The bark was still on and under it, the sap wood had begun to rot. The wood inside is still in great shape. I cut some of the upper branches into firewood and while splitting it, the bark came off.
I woke up in the wee hours to check the wood stove and I noticed that some of the logs in the pile are actually glowing in the dark.
The area of the sap wood is where the 'glowing' is taking place.
Anyone know why/how this occurs ?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: mdntrdr

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tim and Steve.
Looks like that's the answer.
:thumbsup:

Reactions: tc65

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was on a boy scout night hike testing compass and map reading. As we crossed a field saw a complete tree glowing green blue. No camera with us, but I remember the incident clearly after 70 years.
Saw this glow in the sea many times when on a night boat trip.
johnep

·
Registered
5,056 Posts

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Take a look at the Wiki link, it's a real thing and some good photos there. I've only seen bio-luminescence in ocean water.
Have you never seen fireflies? You don't see them here on the West Coast, but they are common in the summer from the middle of the country to the East Coast. They are just like those tiny light bulbs in the air blinking on and off in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, only they are real bugs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts