Woodworking Talk banner

Glider Bassonet HELP

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mizer 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I finished drawing up plans for a raised panel crib that would convert to a day bed once the kid got older... was pretty sweet, however the buddy of mine who I drew it up for got back to me and said that there was some particular one that his wife and in-law picked out and he didn't want to even mention it to them... :eek:

He then tells me a Bassonet would make more sense for them as the baby is coming in Apr... I sketched this up.

I've never built a glider or the likes, so my concern is the glide mech... I'm putting up a picture... any suggestions from those with experience on gliders or similar would be much appreciated... this is going to be a lot of pecan wood and a lot of milling... so I hate to build it to find out that it's unstable or dosen't rock worth a :censored:...

ps. I AM planning to use sealed bearing at all movements to keep it smooth...

THANKS!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When I built our crib/cosleeper, I designed it to federal consumer protection specs, including testing (for example, to make sure little heads that impact into the side when trying to pull themselves up can not deflect the parts enough to get the head stuck).

http://www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs/index.html

As it happens, just last month they published updated rules, including LOTS of comments they got from folks on how to make cribs safer. It's long and its legalese (see the regulations link on the homepage) but you may find some important ideas to add to your design.

EDIT: Oops, I see now you're talking bassinet. Not sure if my link has bassinet safety info or not. But I'll leave the original comment for others thinking about crib building.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.