Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dap 33 has been my go to product for years. I need to repair an old leaded glass window. The label on the new Dap 33 can says not recommended for stained/leaded glass projects.

This is for standard glazing in a wooden frame. Any thoughts or suggestions? Formula changed? Dap 33 has been used before with out any issues I am aware of.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
I never heard of issues of using Dap33 with leaded glass. I've been using it for years with no problems. I think if there is any issues it would be because the dap will eventually harden like a rock and pull at the lead if there is any shrinkage. Be sure to knead it well before using it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to my wife who has lots of chemistry classes Dap 33 has silica and will not react with lead. Lead is pretty inert with most things. As she teaches dyeing classes and meets resistance to using mordants to make the dye bind to fabric her thought is this. People being afraid of lead will perhaps try to use glazing compound to replace using lead. Dap manufacturer is just nipping a potential problem in the bud.

I don't know. The window is glazed. Same as I did fifteen years ago. The lead looked good just like it did then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts