Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed glass into a wood frame for doors on a hutch? I am trying to come up with the best way to secure the glass into a rabbited frame. I haven't made the doors wood frames yet but I plan on having a half inch deep rabbit to insert a piece of glass 1/8 or 3/16 inch thick into. Are glazing points a good option? Maybe a thin backer board over that?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cgp4312 said:
When I had the glass put in my gun cabinet they used glazer points and put a bead of silicon around it
Silicon. I knew there was a good reason I asked. That would eliminate a rattling sound of opening the doors. Thank you

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've only done two = a gun cabinet and a hutch.
1. The glass sheets sit on little rectangles of rubber aka inner tube.
2. Literally, drops of silicone to hold the sheet in place. Like a dab every 6".

What surprised me was how quiet/silent the doors were. Just the click of the magnetic catches.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to let you know how it turned out. I went with silicone and glazing points. It worked out well but a lesson to myself would be to make the rabbit that accepts the glass wider than the 1/2 inch I made it. Cabinetman, I think on the next glass panel project I will use some of the mounting parts you suggested and design the doors to better accept that hardware. Thank you all for your suggestions

image-2131267209.jpg

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I had to make some shadow boxes. I used small molding strips and held them in place with 23 gauge pins from a nail gun.

If you don't have a compressor and nail gun, this is a very good excuse. :icon_smile:

·
johnep
2,089 Posts
When my daughter had pet rabbits, the hutch was against a wall but still exposed to cold winds and winter weather. I used a sheet of clear acrylic to just insert in the door frame and held against the frame by friction. Hole cut for water bottle. The top of the hutch covered by old carpet to protect from frost. The other thing I learnt from my Dad was to make a loo in one corner. A piece of alloy sheet with edges turned up and a tube secured with plastic filler. A jar underneath collected the urine. This kept the hutch clean.
johnep

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
Has anyone installed glass into a wood frame for doors on a hutch? I am trying to come up with the best way to secure the glass into a rabbited frame. I haven't made the doors wood frames yet but I plan on having a half inch deep rabbit to insert a piece of glass 1/8 or 3/16 inch thick into. Are glazing points a good option? Maybe a thin backer board over that?
If you will have 1/2" to work with I would install the glass with wooden trim about 5/16"x 5/16". It looks nicer than caulk and easier to replace the glass if ever broken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts