Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I am using it upside down, but I like the rough finish.
Anyhow I am using a piece of corian and the printed "Made In US" won't come off.
Last time it came right off with acetone, but not today. I tried acetone, xylene, alcohol, and mineral spirit; the acetone got about half off, but the rest won't budge.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Corian is a resin and the finished side is sanded shiny smooth while the backside isn't. Try rough (low grit - maybe 60) sanding the shinny side and see if you like the result. If the rough sanding gives you the "look" you prefer - go ahead and sand out the lettering with that particular grit paper.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Can you post a picture of the Corian. It's been about 30 years since I've seen the underside of it. If you have tried the solvents and it didn't work you would have to re-create the way the underside was originally machined. That might be a wide belt sander or at least a hand held belt sander.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't list lacquer thinner. Was the alcohol DNA? Wiping with MEK, or ethylene dichloride should remove the print..
Yes, DNA. Also tried lacquer thinner.

Is MEK a sure thing when everything else has failed? If so, I will look around for it.
Lowes only has it in gallons and HD doesn't have it at all; but I will look. Paint store maybe?

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I found a box of corian samples this morning. It just looks like the back side of it is sanded with 220 to 320 grit sandpaper. There is no reason the marks can't be sanded off with an orbital sander.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you decide to use MEK, wear a respirator...not just a nuisance filter, a real respirator. We used it where I worked and it was called "methyl ethyl DEATH". It's pretty potent stuff.
Just saying!

joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If MEK is that toxic, I will live with the printing. Afterall, my new drill press table was made in the USA.

I expect the amount of material I would have to sand off to get rid of the printing would be too much.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
If MEK is that toxic, I will live with the printing. Afterall, my new drill press table was made in the USA.

I expect the amount of material I would have to sand off to get rid of the printing would be too much.
You might be surprised. One of the selling points of corian is a person could set a lit cigarette on a countertop and let it burn itself out and it could be sanded out and polished like it never happened.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thank you Steve Neul....

Toller... Again - Corian is a RESIN which means heat and chemicals (especially turpentines etc...) can melt the surface. The shinny (finished) side of Corian has been sanded with 1000+ grit paper while the back side is sanded with a course paper. Like Steve said - try it with 220 grit paper. It mighty melt the surface and hide that nasty printing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts