Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I broke down and bought my Barracuda 4-jaw chuck on Amazon. I should have it by Wednesday. For my first real lathe project I'd like to try making a bowl or a plate. I have a Jet Midi lathe with the bed extension and varriable speed adjustment. I have asked my wife to get me some books on making segmented bowls for Christmas. In the meantime, are there any good websites that will help me to get started? Any tips for a beginner are appreciated.:icon_smile:

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Hi Ken, couple of good places for you and there are loads some vids on youtube as well.
http://www.turnedwood.com/index.shtml

http://www.smithart.us/index.htm

there are howtos and downloads on both sites the stuartart also has a nice little sanding device for the small lathe, well any lathe really saves money on buying a flat bed sander. there are also pdfs for diff sizes of indexing plates. Hope you find them usefull, get and show what you do even if you make a cockup, shows you had a go. i like a guy that is going to dive in, i think you learn more if you try to do something more.
Good luck if you take your time and get jigs made up and watch your lineups and joints then you should be okay.:thumbsup: LB..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! They look like great sites! I can't wait to dig in.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ken Get malcolm Tibbits book The art of segmented turning. It is the best book out there on segmented turning. He covers all the problems and all the techniques. It's soft bound and very reasonably priced.
If you do a search on Google on green wood turning you will get a ton if imformation.
I would also suggest a visit to www.woodcentral.com and go to the turning message board. They will answer any question you have and there are a lot of really knowledgeable people.

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my Barracuda 2 chuck last night and got to play with it a little tonight. I really love it. I'm just playing with a solid piece of maple for now but I'm also in the process of gluing up my first segmented bowl. It is a 6-segment bowl made of walnut with thin butter nut accent pieces in between. The bottom will be walnut or maybe maple. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I'll post pics of my first bowl when it is done. Even if it looks like :censored:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts