Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you all get into woodworking, I started geting intrested after seeing New Yankee workshop when i was a nipper. there was no other programs on then. It wasn't until i got older and could afford to buy the tools and finally have the space to start building my own workshop...:huh: .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my start in woodshop in the eigth grade. I built a book case for my Mom to store encyclopedias in. I also took mechanical drawing that year. Later, during high school, I was introduced to the lathe and started working with my ex-step-father framing houses. That lead to some finish carpentry and eventually to cabinet making. I took a break from wood when I joined the military. I am now getting back into it since purchasing a sawmill after Hurricane Katrina. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean I spent 13 years in merchant navy before i decided to get out and get back into the construction industry only got 6 months left before i'm fully qualified joiner..

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I got started in wood shop in school and in my junior and senior year took a vocational class in building trades. After graduating I went to work for builders doing odd stuff and worked as a framer for awhile and hod carrier, drywaller, and alot of other misc. stuff. I finally got to where I wanted to be just a couple of years ago, working with wood and creating one of a kind furniture peices. I also do pine wood floors and log handrails. It pays the bills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts