Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello All, I've joined the forum because I'm getting back into woodworking after about 10 years and I want to do it right this time. I rehabbed a 140 year old Victorian house and did some good projects but i really just realized how little I know. So I will seek better advise as I go forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Welcome! My first project is to make some patio tables out of the remnants of my neighbor's ipe deck. These will pretty much sit outside in all weather. (Missouri) How well does this wood take glue? Is conventional all weather wood glue okay? Anything else I should know? If anyone else has done this I'll take any advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm I'm st Charles County.

I've never used ipe, but if it is very oily, I've used denatured alcohol to wipe down the glue surface prior to adding PVA glue.

I know epoxy is often popular as well, but I don't know how weather resistant epoxy is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hello All, I've joined the forum because I'm getting back into woodworking after about 10 years and I want to do it right this time. I rehabbed a 140 year old Victorian house and did some good projects but i really just realized how little I know. So I will seek better advise as I go forward.
Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried to attach pics but I'm getting a "security error occurred" message. This is a prototype of several I want to build. I have this one screwed together but not glued. I'm not sure gluing is a good idea since they will be in the weather. The biggest surprise was the difficulty keeping the legs square while I drilled for the screws. I would up making a jig to hold them square, along with a bunch of clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts