Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a lot more serious on dust collection because I am tired of the mess. right now I have a harbor freight dust collector which works ok but doesn't roll around very well and the metal rods that support the bags are breaking.

currently I only collect chips from my planer and jointer. I use to with my table saw but I hate rolling the dust collector over and its a contractor saw so even with the back closed up it still leaves a lot of dust around.

with my miter saw I use a shop vac which works ok but not great probably gets 50% of the dust which is better than just the bag.

I have a over head air filter which I run most of the time that I am in the shop.

I don't really have room for a overhead dust collection system because my shop is in a basement with pretty low head room.

I have a fair amount to spend on this around 600-700 after I roof a garage next week. but I am not sure what I need to get.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Good DC requires 2 things: Moving lots of air to capture the dust, and separating that dust from the air stream. Moving lots of air (do not believe the CFM ratings most manufacturers report; they are about as accurate as the 6.5 HP your shop vac has) requires a large impeller, and enough motor to spin it while it's under load. To me that would mean starting with a 2HP/12" impeller DC, and go up from there. To separate the dust you need good filtration, 1 micron or better (smaller). Then to make all that work to it's best capability, you need good ductwork to hook it to your tools (important to consider, since it often costs as much as the DC). You can't choke it down with small pipes or you impair the air flow. A 4" duct will carry about ~400 CFM, even if you have a 2000 CFM DC. Myabe spending some time at the Bill Pentz site, going through some of the FAQs would be useful. One other thing, cyclones (which will be recommended) are nice to have, they make life easier.But a SS DC that meets the criteria of moving air and good filtration does a good job as well. Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pentz site is a great suggestion. I have used both a small 220 DC and a big 120 DC that had similar CFM ratings ~1200 for the 120V. I bought it second after the first was damaged in a move. I was worried it might be small. It has been fine and I used 4" duct work. It seems to work better to have a couple of branches open to prevent starving it of air. I am in a two car garage and go up a wall to the middle of the space to collect from jointer and TS. The planer I roll over and connect with a 10' flex hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts