Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Nice work, John.

I really like the textured ring on the purpleheart mirror -- but it doesn't look like chatterwork or the regular pattern from a "decorator elf" tool. (If I had to guess, I'd say it was a steel brush while the lathe was turning, followed by turning down & sanding the smooth areas to create the contrast ... am I close?)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used my Sorby texturing tool set at a fairly steep angle. Then I went over it with a wire wheel but I held it in my hand sideways so the wire sort of followed the kerfs left by the texturing tool. Then I took a soft brass brush and brushed it followed by a light sanding with 220 up to 400. After I sprayed the mirror I used steel wool to make the textured ring a satin finish.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I used my Sorby texturing tool set at a fairly steep angle. Then I went over it with a wire wheel but I held it in my hand sideways so the wire sort of followed the kerfs left by the texturing tool. Then I took a soft brass brush and brushed it followed by a light sanding with 220 up to 400. After I sprayed the mirror I used steel wool to make the textured ring a satin finish.
:eek: I just don't have the experience or imagination to come up with some of the techniques you use! It looks great, thanks for sharing the method.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wish I had time to make presents this year. Overtime is KILLING me! I was wanting to make the girls some mirrors. Those look super nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts