Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need to build a “carcass” for a router table. I should be able to cut all 5 pieces I need out of one piece of 4x8 MDF. But the only way I would have to cut this is with a circular saw. And that would not be too accurate.

Is there a good lumber store (beside HD and Lowes) that would cut 5 pieces out one sheet of MDF and not look at me funny when I tell them what I need. I don’t mind paying for a service, just as long as I know it will be done well…

Thanks!

·
Member , noisy .
105 Posts
You can get an astounding accurate cut with your CC as long as the saw/blade is in good condition and use a straightedge such as a level clamped to the mdf . Measure from the edge of the saw's table to the sawtooth . (at least twice;))

I use this method and get cuts that rival that of my table saw .

Other than that , break out the phone book s'wat I'd do .

·
Registered
801 Posts
Some places don't like cutting it because of the sawdust it creates. Pick Up a Good Aluminum strait edge..... You'll get you're $$$ out of it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A good way to

get reliable cuts with your circular saw is to take a few minutes and make a guide. Start out with a relatively flat piece of ½" or ¾" plywood, about 8 to 10" wide by 8' long. On top of this, mount a 2" wide piece, about 5¾" from one edge. No need to take any great pains at establishing the dimension. + or - ¼" is plenty good. The important thing is to make sure the 2" wide piece runs in a straight line from end to end. Glue and screw/brad together and let the glue cure for an hour ot two. Now, clamp the assembly onto a pair of saw horses and get out your circular saw. Assuming that your blade is on the right side of the saw, set the blade depth to cut through the bigger piece of plywood. Put the saw shoe against the 2" wide strip which is your guide, and saw the length of the panel. Now, when you need to cut something that doesn't fit well on your table saw, make a pair of marks, slide your saw guide up to the lines and saw with confidence. You will get a perfect cut everytime now. Just remember to clamp the jig to the piece you want to keep. Kind of like standing on the tree side of the branch before you cut.

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
edp is right

I like edp's suggestion, I have one and it is really good and easy. the only reason that I had to make a second was that the motor on my dewalt would pass over the clamps on the ends when I was cutting 4x8's. I had to make the 2" part wider.

It is better the the 96" clamping guide that i got.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, if you're building a router table that means you have a router,am I correct??? Over cut the pieces with the circ saw and trim 'em with the router.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if you're building a router table that means you have a router,am I correct??? Over cut the pieces with the circ saw and trim 'em with the router.
That's what I've been doing tonight. Trimed one piece using a straight edge and router. Then put that on top of another piece and made multiple passes with this dado clean out bit:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_dado.html

Works like a champ and I get pieces that are EXACTLY the same. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts