Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer to a decision on a new 3hp 10" table saw with ~50" cut to right of the blade. When I find something on CL close to that, I can't react quick enough to be able to get that "great deal". So I have narrowed new saws down to the following:

Shop Fox W1820: http://www.woodstockint.com/catalog/2012/ShopFoxCatalog/5

Grizzly G1023RLX: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023RLX

Steel City 35975: http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/i...-industrial-fence-system-and-table-board.html

All are cast iron tables. I think the fences are comparable. Not sure totally about the internals, though.

The Shop Fox is available from a place about 1 1/2 hours, the Steel City about 3 hours away. The Grizzly would be from PA. The Shop Fox is about $300 more then the Grizzly and the Steel City is about $125 less then the Grizzly. The Shop Fox is the only one I have actually seen, the Steel City saw was just a contractor saw. The Grizzly I have not seen. I notice the Shop Fox is from a ISO 9001 plant in China, and has a 2 year warranty, while the Grizzly is from Taiwan and not sure on the Steel City. Both I think have a year warranty.

So my concerns are which one is the better value as far as construction and quality. Cost is definitely a concern. Does spending the extra money for the Shop Fox give me a better saw? I know there will be different opinions and that is what I want to hear/see.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
So my concerns are which one is the better value as far as construction and quality. Cost is definitely a concern. Does spending the extra money for the Shop Fox give me a better saw? I know there will be different opinions and that is what I want to hear/see.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jon
Northern Michigan
Since I have only had two table saws, an old Craftsman given to me after my dad passed and the Grizzly. I can't offer a comparison of the saws you have listed.

I have owned the Grizzly1023RLW for just over a year. It has performed great and I use it a lot...as a retired guy just trying to make everything he can before getting too old! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RLX would give the extra width over the RLW which is for the router. I already have a separate router table. I hope to be able to use this new saw well into my retirement years. (though she will say I am already retired because I am self employed)

Thanks,

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0513x2/images/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0453Z/images/0
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0690/images/6

I'd have to vote for Grizzly, those three machines are the ones I own and have nothing but good things to say about them. quality, fit and finish is excellent. I was missing one part on my table saw and a quick call to C.S and they had the part on it's way. 2 days it was on my machine.
But I do love my band saw, what a big difference over my 14" pos I had before.

Good luck on your purchase :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
AFAIK, the SF 1820 is essentially the same saw as the Grizzly G0691, but with dealer support and a 2 year warranty....that's certainly worth something.

I can't tell you which is the better saw of those three. I can tell you that the new G1023 series is a more updated design than the G0690, with a threaded elevation mechanism and dovetail ways on the arbor carriage, has a wide serpentine drive belt, and that it's made in Taiwan vs China.

It's hard to imagine any of them not being a great saw for you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.......It's hard to imagine any of them not being a great saw for you.
That's my problem. Which one do I want! They all have good things about them.

Are the internals better on the new 1023? Compared to the other two saws?

Thanks

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
...Are the internals better on the new 1023? Compared to the other two saws?

Thanks

Jon
Northern Michigan
The term "better" is usually subjective. The innerds on the 1023 are a more recent design than those on the G0690....the elevation mechanism that houses the arbor carriage travels straight up and down (vs being on a swing arm) and travels on dovetail ways that ensure perfect positioning and reduces play. I'm less familiar with the Steel City. Does one of them make your heart beat faster?

G1023R:
1023rltr.jpg

G0690:
g0690pic.jpg

·
Banned
382 Posts
Like MT Stringer, I have the Grizzly1023RLW. I can vouch that the blade travels straight up and down. I put a Beall Tiltbox II on my blade and got it perfectly square to the table, then moved it up and down a few times and the box read a 0.00 degree tilt the whole time. I recently had to rip a few 2x12s that were less than dry and it didn't even break a sweat. It's has plenty of power for everything I've thrown at it. I've done the nickle test several times. Nickle stays on its side every time. I'm completely happy with mine.

I know nothing of the others, but I doubt they're significantly different.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was in your position last summer. I was torn choosing the Grizzly 1023RLWX, GO690,or the Jet Delux Xacta 7067PK 5HP saw. I really wanted the Jet but didn't want to spend that much. I ended up not being able to pass up the Jet when they did a 15% off and free shipping deal. I have been very happy with it and there hasn't been anything that even slows it down. I cut some 8/4 rough Hard Maple and it didn't slow down or make any burn marks making the cuts. I'm sure the 1023RLW, or the GO890 will also be great saws.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0513x2/images/

I'd have to vote for Grizzly, ......
But I do love my band saw, what a big difference over my 14" pos I had before.

Good luck on your purchase :thumbsup:

I agree on the bandsaws by Grizzly. I picked up a new out of box 30th anniversary G0555LANV and I really like. Because I bought it locally from someone that was letting it go I have no warranty. Does that bother me? Not yet. But I do miss the cheap Sears 12" tilt head bandsaw that I sold. I really like the table size on the Sears. But the Grizzly is much more saw.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Warranty issues on Grizzly and Jet

MT, Miller and retfr8flyr

Have you had warranty issues with your saws? Or has any one else had warranty issues with major purchases like these and how were they handles? I don't expect any issues, but being far from any of the three saw dealers, if I have to ship the whole saw back, that could be a major problem. The Shop Fox is only and hour and a half, but Grizzly is about 12 hours from me. (But my daughter lives a few hours past there and I could make it a visit, though.)

Any comments?

Thanks

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Having dealt with Grizzly cslustomer service first hand, I can tell you they are top notch. I doubt youll have any issue with them but if you do they will handle everything. All youll have to do is get the saw back on a pallet. They will take it from there and all on thier dime. Grizzly customer service is hard to beat.

Reactions: Civilian

·
Registered
219 Posts
I haven't had to call Jet about anything with the saw, so far it's been golden. I know they are supposed to have good customer service but I can't say yea or nea.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
When my Shop Fox W1677 was new (July 2008), it came with a broken screw on one of the fence faces. They offered me a choice of a new fence or some form of compensation for fixing it myself....I didn't think it was worth the cost and trouble of them sending a whole fence, so I fixed it and accepted a free saw blade from them. IMO, their CS was excellent.

·
Banned
382 Posts
MT, Miller and retfr8flyr

Have you had warranty issues with your saws? Or has any one else had warranty issues with major purchases like these and how were they handles? I don't expect any issues, but being far from any of the three saw dealers, if I have to ship the whole saw back, that could be a major problem. The Shop Fox is only and hour and a half, but Grizzly is about 12 hours from me. (But my daughter lives a few hours past there and I could make it a visit, though.)

Any comments?

Thanks

Jon
Northern Michigan
I have no idea how Grizzly handles warranty items. Everything was packaged well and nothing was missing. I haven't had my saw long and haven't had to deal with Grizzly for any warranty issues. So far, my only complaint is that the set up was difficult because the table was freaking heavy and I had to set it up all by my lonesome. If you have to have a problem, a heavy table is a good one to have.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
FWIW, when I discovered my issue, my warranty had just expired. Grizzly stepped up to the plate and made it right. Im still a Grizzly customer. In fact, I just placed an order there today.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When my Shop Fox W1677 was new (July 2008), it came with a broken screw on one of the fence faces. They offered me a choice of a new fence or some form of compensation for fixing it myself....I didn't think it was worth the cost and trouble of them sending a whole fence, so I fixed it and accepted a free saw blade from them. IMO, their CS was excellent.

Did you purchase it directly from Shop Fox, or through a dealer?

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have no idea how Grizzly handles warranty items. Everything was packaged well and nothing was missing. I haven't had my saw long and haven't had to deal with Grizzly for any warranty issues. So far, my only complaint is that the set up was difficult because the table was freaking heavy and I had to set it up all by my lonesome. If you have to have a problem, a heavy table is a good one to have.

I will probably be setting mine up by my self also.

Jon
Northern Michigan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts