Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm refinishing a kitchen table. It has two coats of primer, three coats of a white acrylic paint, and a coat of glaze with a bit of stain mixed in. Now I'm ready to spray on the top coat of general finishes high performance polycrylic.

Question is this--how long do I need to wait in between coats? I've searched and read advice at merely 45 min to an hour, all the way up to overnight. Generally I'm reading that it dries fast so an hour two is ok. I wanna lightly sand between coats, so should I wait longer? If I wait longer, do I need to break down my hplv gun (brand new with this) and clean it between coats? And further, is water and a bit of soap ok or do I need something else to clean it?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
If the glaze with the stain mixed in was oil based you need to let that dry three days in dry weather before tocoating with the polycrylic. I'm not familar with that brand polycrylic but the 45 minutes to an hour sounds about right. There should be that info on the can. Keep in mind a water based poly is pretty thin so only sand it a little between coats. All you are trying to do is smooth it where the finish raises the grain. Normally when I clean a sprayer I first spray what ever solvent would thin the paint and your case that would be water. Then I spray lacquer thinner through the gun for a final clean. If the gun has set with the finish in it for any length of time it should be taken apart and the parts soaked in lacquer thinner. Also they make small brushes kinda like bore cleaning brushes for firearms to aid with the cleaning. Once in a while a gun should be taken apart and cleaned anyway but if you clean it right after using it flushing thinner through it is usually enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's about 200% humidity and 90 degrees here right now......guessing I should wait until night to spray. I put the glaze with a small bit of minwax oil based stain on it 3 days ago, but with a damp rag I can smudge the glaze. Is that normal prior to a topcoat or do I just need to give it time?

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
It's about 200% humidity and 90 degrees here right now......guessing I should wait until night to spray. I put the glaze with a small bit of minwax oil based stain on it 3 days ago, but with a damp rag I can smudge the glaze. Is that normal prior to a topcoat or do I just need to give it time?
Something is wrong. You should not be able to smudge the glaze after three days. It should dry like paint. If it was me I would wipe as much of the glaze off as you can with mineral spriits and re-apply it without the minwax. It could be the minwax stain is what is smudging. With what you have I doubt if the polycrylic would adhere.

The reason I said three days drying time on the oil based is any water based finish has a adverse reaction with linseed oil which is contained in the stain. It doesn't adhere well. You either have to wait the three days in warm weather or put a coat of sealcoat shellac on first as a barrier coat so the polycrylic will stick.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm refinishing a kitchen table. It has two coats of primer, three coats of a white acrylic paint, and a coat of glaze with a bit of stain mixed in. Now I'm ready to spray on the top coat of general finishes high performance polycrylic.

Question is this--how long do I need to wait in between coats? I've searched and read advice at merely 45 min to an hour, all the way up to overnight. Generally I'm reading that it dries fast so an hour two is ok. I wanna lightly sand between coats, so should I wait longer? If I wait longer, do I need to break down my hplv gun (brand new with this) and clean it between coats? And further, is water and a bit of soap ok or do I need something else to clean it?

Thanks! Ryan
You applied two coats of primer...what was it?

Three coats of white acrylic paint...how long did each application dry?

A coat of glaze...what kind?

Every time you overcoat an application, if it hasn't cured, drying what's under it is prolonged. What did you use to rub on it to see it rub off? I wouldn't add shellac. IMO, you have too much of other stuff already on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Primer was zinnser oil based stuff. Real thin coats. The paint was a coat a day for 3 days, thin coats sprayed on. 2 days later I put on Valspar clear mixing glaze with a bit of minwax in it, immediately wiping it off. One coat. I just used a damp rag and was able to smudge the stain, not the glaze.

I blame this on the wife and her finding that Ana White website! She wanted the table white with an antique glaze look on it? I'll admit, it does look exactly like she wanted it to look....I just want it to withstand the abuse of our family to the kitchen table.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I would give it time to cure.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
The Valspar clear mixing glaze is a water based glaze and by wiping it with minwax stain you mixed an oil based stain with a water based product. By not cleaning it off and allowed to dry the finish will adhere to the stain which will peal off taking the finish off with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts