Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post. I joined a couple of weeks ago. I've recently retired and have rekindled my love for woodworking. First project, complete makeover of the shed to turn it into a good functional workshop. Happy days!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome. That's two smart things that you've done in a row: retire and do a shed makeover.
Where are you? 4 yrs Melbourne/PhD/LaTrobe Uni. I retired 7 years ago. Don't know how I ever found the time to work.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome comments. We live on a small acreage property on the outskirts of Brisbane. Spend 35 years working as an accountant. Served as a medic with the Australian army in Vietnam. Married 40 years, 2 kids, 2 grand kids.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Wood is good, no two ways about it.
Met a bunch of carvers on line from the Brisbane area.
I think this site is about as good as it gets for woodworking.

Any strong ideas about your directions in wood?

Haven't been back to Bris since Expo!

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing definite yet but I'm leaning toward period reproduction cabinet making. I've just completed my work bench, an essential part of the makeover. Incidentally, Does BC stand for British Columbia, Canada? My wife was bo

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peter Laenen said:
Nothing definite yet but I'm leaning toward period reproduction cabinet making. I've just completed my work bench, an essential part of the makeover. Incidentally, Does BC stand for British Columbia, Canada? My wife was born in London Ontario.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
G'day Peter
Yes indeed, BC stands for British Columbia. Retired wood science/dendrology prof. Lived here in BC nearly 40 years, I'm an Ottawa kid. McBride is a little mountain village of less than 500, about 2 hrs by car, west of Jasper National Park. Much the same as the park without the crowds or prices.

I think that I would have liked to learn cabinet making. The closest that I came was access to lots of window glass 1900-1915. Plenty of characteristic distortions, even some bubbles. Carefully eased it out of the fossilized putty and sold it to cabinet makers, happy to pay $1/square inch.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts