Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went away for the weekend. Grandma watched the kids. I come back and the garbage disposal isn't working. I thought at first that it was just jammed up, so I turned it manually underneath, which relieved the clog, but it still wasn't running. It turned freely though, and I felt around inside and didn't discover any obvious jams. The motor is running (i.e. you can hear the hum) but there's no motion in the disposal. Anyone have any ideas of next steps? Last time I had to pay a guy $90 to show me how to manually turn the thing to relieve the jam. I'm hoping there's an equally simple solution going here that perhaps I won't have to pay for this time if I learn a little...

Thanks.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Wife and I went away for the weekend. Grandma watched the kids. I come back and the garbage disposal isn't working. I thought at first that it was just jammed up, so I turned it manually underneath, which relieved the clog, but it still wasn't running. It turned freely though, and I felt around inside and didn't discover any obvious jams. The motor is running (i.e. you can hear the hum) but there's no motion in the disposal. Anyone have any ideas of next steps? Last time I had to pay a guy $90 to show me how to manually turn the thing to relieve the jam. I'm hoping there's an equally simple solution going here that perhaps I won't have to pay for this time if I learn a little...

Thanks.
Hearing a "hum" doesn't mean the motor is rotating its shaft.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I just meant that the electricity is flowing and the motor is trying to do its work. Te problem isn't a tripped circuit for instance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No help, just a question....am I the only one that is scared to put their hand in a garbage disposal? Even with it unplugged I feel so uncomfortable with my hand in there....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lilman said:
No help, just a question....am I the only one that is scared to put their hand in a garbage disposal? Even with it unplugged I feel so uncomfortable with my hand in there....
Scenes from horror movies come to mind every time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cabinetman said:
My first guess is that there is still an obstruction inside.

Me too, but I can easily turn it manually using a Allan wrench. If it was jammed, wouldn't I have trouble turning it manually?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Can you see the plate? I helped a friend of mine replace one and the grinder had rusted away to almost nothing. If grandma overtaxed it, it may have finished disintegrating.

Also, $90?? That's a shame, you could've been most of the way towards a nice new one for that...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Messed around again last night; no progress. Doesn't look rusted. I can't find any jams but I bet there's something in there. I'm giving up and calling the pros. But I'll be around to see what they do and how I've wasted my $.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A disposal is not hard to replace. I'm definetly not a plumber but I've replaced several. My son just replaced his and he has zero plumbing experience.

Save your money on the pros and do it yourself. If you can get the same model it is super easy because you will not have to replace the sink bracket. Even if you do it's not really a big deal, just adds a few minutes to the job.

You can do it!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd not throw good money after bad... if it is going to ring you another $90+ you're probably better off with a new one. Like MeasureTwice said, it is pretty easy... if you're handy enough for woodworking you're handy enough to swap it out. I was in high school when my friend and I swapped his out, and we had no idea what we were doing. It is no harder than swapping out a light fixture.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... just looked at prices...

A new one of the same model is $84 at HD. I can buy one, take this one off and see what's up. If I can't fix it, I can put the new on. If I can, then I can take the new one back and save some dough. Now if I can only find a little time....

Thanks for prodding.

·
7,222 Posts
A new one of the same model is $84 at HD. I can buy one, take this one off and see what's up. If I can't fix it, I can put the new on. If I can, then I can take the new one back and save some dough. Now if I can only find a little time....

Thanks for prodding.
Good to read you are going a sensible direction.

While you have the unit out, I would check the U trap. Last time I had to look at my disposal unit was sometime last year when I had to replace a dishwasher which died. I removed the exit from the disposer to connect the new dishwasher. This meant removing the trap. I decided to clean the trap while I had it out and found it was corroded and would have leaked in a very short time.

I replaced the metal trap with a PVC trap.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The last time I had a problem similar to yours, I replaced the garbage disposal.

Then I tried to take the old one apart to see what was wrong. Yeah, right. The whole thing was encased in a composite something. Couldn't see, couldn't get inside and couldn't break it open with a pick axe. It was recycled.

Reactions: railaw

·
Registered
243 Posts
One reminder if you do install a new one. If your dishwasher drains into the disposal, make sure you knock out the plug on the new disposal before you hook up the dishwasher drain line ....... Don't ask me how I know :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

rrich, done the same thing with exactly the same results!!

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Good to read you are going a sensible direction.

While you have the unit out, I would check the U trap. Last time I had to look at my disposal unit was sometime last year when I had to replace a dishwasher which died. I removed the exit from the disposer to connect the new dishwasher. This meant removing the trap. I decided to clean the trap while I had it out and found it was corroded and would have leaked in a very short time.

I replaced the metal trap with a PVC trap.
Remember to knock out the dishwasher plug if you use the new one.

I assume that you know that the new one should fit the same mount as the old one.

Very simple job to replace.

George

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a quarter!

Jammed under the spinney thing. Now if I can get it out I can return the new one sitting next to it in front of the sink...

image-3377345196.jpg

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gave up on getting that quarter out. New one is in. I'm out $95. But I bet the professional couldn't have gotten it out either so thanks to all who encouraged me to just do the replacement.

And in case you're wondering, I DID remember to punch out the dishwasher drain.

Thanks again.

image-2746837986.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts